2017 Silver 1.5 oz Canada Grizzly Bear (10 Coins)
With this 2017 Silver 1.5 oz Canada Grizzly Bear, the Royal Canadian Mint issues the fifth coin in the series introduced in 2013. Following a similar theme of their earlier 1 oz Canadian Wildlife series, this current one has found welcome acceptance. The increased weight of 1.5 oz, produced a thicker coin (4.5 mm), while maintaining the same diameter as that of the 1 oz Maple Leaf, as well as the earlier Wildlife series.
Each coin in the series features one of the most iconic examples of the Canadian wilderness species. The attention to fine detail and engaging presentation has produced outstanding designs, and this 2017 Silver 1.5 oz Canada Grizzly Bear is a fiercely stunning example!
The grizzly bear represents a fierce side of the Canadian wilderness. Its massive bulk, with the natural ability to take down any prey it sets it eyes on, strikes fear among men. Indeed, the grizzly bear’s fearlessness when sensing threat certainly merits the caution humans normally exercise when in “bear territory.” Nevertheless, the grizzly is also a magnificent animal, which fills a unique role within the wilderness ecology it inhabits. This is certainly true of the Canadian wilderness, where its presence has helped to maintain balance among the many species of animals of the area.
The reverse design’s attention to detail in the presentation of this amazing animal is stunning! The bear’s full-body profile provides a sense of its massive size. It is standing on all fours upon a rough rock formation. The hump noticeable high on its back at the shoulders is a distinguishing feature of the grizzly. Even more distinctive is the bear’s head raised, and jaws opened wide in a ferocious roar! This is a truly a stunning coin, and worthy of the series.
- 2017 Silver 1.5 oz Canadian Grizzly Bear (10 Coins).
- Contains 1.5 troy oz of .9999 fine silver.
- Obverse: Right-facing profile of Queen Elizabeth II, with inscriptions “ELIZABETH II D. G. REGINA” and 8 Dollar face value.
- Reverse: Displays a finely detailed, full-body scene of a grizzly, head raised high in a fierce roar. Also included are the coin’s weight and purity in both English and French. Arched above the grizzly is proudly displayed “CANADA” and the release year.
- $8 (CAD) face value.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Canadian government.
This 2017 Grizzly Bear release is the fifth coin in this Canadian wildlife themed, 1.5 oz .9999 fine silver coin series. The increased weight, and amazing designs have been a tremendous success among both collectors and investors.
- The first release of 2013 featured the stunning Arctic Polar Bear.
- A second coin was released in 2014, with a beautiful design of the Arctic Fox.
- The third, released in 2015, featured a wonderfully poignant scene of a Polar Bear and Cub.
- The fourth, released in 2016, featured a magnificent White Falcon.
Advanced Security Features
Introduced to the series release is the addition of two advanced anti-counterfeiting security features! The obverse background displays precision engraved radial lines, which not only add distinction, but also security. They have been precisely machined to within microns on the master tooling to ensure reproducibility from die to die and coin to coin. The uniqueness of the line width and pitch gives a characteristic look, creating a light-diffracting pattern specific to this coin. The reverse also displays this feature in the narrow band encircling the rim.
The second feature is found on the reverse. It includes a small, textured maple leaf, micro-engraved with laser technology. It displays the last two digits of the release year. These two features represents the true cutting-edge of coin security.