2017 1 oz Silver Britannia 20th Anniversary Edition
This 2017 1 oz Silver Britannia 20th Anniversary Edition contains one troy ounce of .999 fine silver, the purest of silver released by the Royal Mint. In honor of the 20th anniversary of the first release of this series, a new design including both sides of the coin is being introduced.
Britannia’s Distinctive Design
The obverse displays the new, right-facing profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, first introduced on Britannia in 2016. A Royal Mint engraver Jody Clark’s 2015 original design was selected to replace that which was first introduced in 1998.
The reverse also is updated for 2017, still featuring the helmeted Lady Britannia. She stands with a trident grasped in one hand to defend the seas. In the other, she holds a shield, graced with the image of Great Britain’s flag, ready to defend the realm. As a symbol of strength and integrity, Britannia has for centuries been featured on British coinage. She is encircled with the inscriptions, “BRITANNIA 2017 1 oz 999 FINE SILVER.” New for this year, a finely-engraved radial sunburst pattern fills the background. This not only adds a very attractive texture, but also anti-counterfeiting security. Distinguishing this limited mintage, 20th Anniversary edition is the small trident head placed at the bottom left rim, which has the numeral “20” embedded.
- 2017 1 oz Silver Britannia 20th Anniversary Edition.
- Limited mintage of 120,000.
- Contains 1 troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- Obverse: Displays the beautiful portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 2 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features the helmeted Lady Britannia, standing with a trident grasped in one hand and shield in the other. A radial sunburst pattern fills the background. Distinguishing this limited mintage, 20th Anniversary edition is the small trident head placed at the bottom left rim, which has the numeral “20” embedded.
- Legal Tender of 2 pound face value.
- Anti-counterfeiting security.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.