2018 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Valiant
The Royal Mint is highly pleased to introduce this amazing new 2018 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Valiant BU coin. Bringing a stunningly-fresh interpretation of the timeless classical legend of Saint George and the Dragon, the Silver Valiant is certain to become a legend in its own right. Also, being the first coin produced by The Royal Mint to have incuse design elements, public appreciation of this coin is sure to persist long after its intial introduction.
Powerful Stunning New Design
Highly recognized British sculptor, Etienne Milner was commissioned to design this amazingly powerful new design of the classic Saint George and the Dragon. This high-profile commission to design a new interpretation of one of the most well-know legends of British history required a truly accomplished sculptor. One who could maintain great respect for all of the elements of the classical history of this amazing scene and yet, bring to them a modern, stylistic expression.
Not only so, but also to display that design on a bullion coin's flat surface and retain a sense of depth and movement required great imaginative skill. Working with the engraving team of The Royal Mint, led by Chief Engraver, Jody Clark, the final result is truly remarkable! Integrating incuse engraving and frosted elements, Milner's design has certainly found a presentation fitting for the subject.
While taking nothing away from the classic 1816 design of Benedetto Pistrucci (still displayed on the reverse of British Sovereigns), Milner's fresh interpretation is a welcome addition to the centuries of artistic history of this great legendary story. This is a coin you will want to display among the most stunning pieces of your collection!
- 2018 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Valiant.
- First use of incuse engraving by The Royal Mint.
- Contains 10 troy oz of .9999 fine silver.
- Stunning design integrating incuse engraving and frosted elements.
- Obverse: Displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, against the Royal Mint's striking guilloché pattern. Inscriptions include "ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D." and the 10 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features a brilliant new interpretation of the classic legend of Saint George and the Dragon. The design integrates incuse engraving and the use of frosted highlights bring the design to life. As with the obverse, the background is filled with the guilloché pattern, adding to the expression of depth to the scene. The inscriptions are in a very distinctive and pleasing typestyle and include "10 oz FINE SILVER 999.9" at the top right, and "2018" at the bottom.
- 10 pound face value.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.