2018 Rwanda 1 oz Silver Nautical Ounce Endeavour
The Rwanda Nautical Ounce series was introduced in 2017, with the inaugural Santa Maria edition. With its highly unique design, not only was the Santa Maria well received, its popularity established the ongoing series! Now in its second year, the 2018 Rwanda 1 oz Silver Nautical Ounce Endeavour BU follows the series theme of featuring famous historic ships.
This second edition of the Rwanda Nautical Ounce series is not only a stunning example of extraordinary design, but also represents highly intriguing Naval history. This is a great selection for both young and old who enjoy stories of the sea and exploration!
HMS Endeavour at Sea
The obverse displays a large image of the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Rwanda centered, with inscriptions encircling the rim, including “BANKI NKURU Y’U RWANDA AMAFARANGA MIRONGO ITANU.” The face value of 50 Francs is also included.
Following a similar layout as the Santa Maria edition, the reverse center inset features an incredible, finely detailed depiction of the HMS Endeavour. The ship is under full sail, and we view it from the stern as the wind billows the tall sails forward.
Within the inset, a large highly-stylized compass is to the left, with navigational markings across the background. The wide rim-band includes the inscriptions “NAUTICAL OUNCE . 2018 . 1 oz FINE SILVER 999.” Superimposing the inset and the band at the top is a small elliptical inset that includes nautical equipment consistent with the period. At the bottom, rough waters from under the ship splash out into the rim-band, creating a nice action-filled effect. Within the splash is inscribed “ENDEAVOUR.”
- 2018 Rwanda 1 oz Silver Nautical Ounce Endeavour.
- Second annual release of the highly popular Nautical Ounce series.
- Includes 1 oz of 999 Fine Silver BU.
- Singles come in a mint plastic pouch, and multiples of 10 in come in sheets.
- Each Silver Nautical coin in the series will be produced within a limited minting period. For the 2018 Endeavour that period is only during the dates of April 2018 to March 2019. This will result in lower mintage and growing value appreciation over time.
- Obverse displays the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Rwanda, with inscriptions encircling the rim.
- Reverse features an incredible, finely detailed image of the HMS Endeavour. The ship is under full sail. The scene includes stylized nautical instruments and markings.
- Face value of 50 Francs.
The British Royal Navy vessel HMS Endeavour was originally launched under the name Earl of Pembroke in 1764, and four years later purchased and commissioned by the Royal Navy as HMS Bark Endeavour. She was commissioned for scientific research, specifically to explore the South Pacific in search of Terra Australis Incognita, (which, by the way, is a fascinating study).
The voyage launched under command of Lieutenant James Cook towards the end of summer 1768 from Plymouth. Pausing several times along their journey south, they finally reached and anchored at New Zealand September 1769. In April the following year they finally reached Australia’s east coast. HMS Endeavour anchored as the first ship ever to reach the east coast. The details of this historic voyage are as exciting as they are interesting!