2018 Silver 1 oz Australia Perth Kookaburra
With the release of the 2018 Silver Kookaburra, Perth Mint is marking the 28th year of the series. From its introduction in 1990, the Kookaburra's popularity worldwide has been remarkable. Anticipation builds as each new release date approaches, and annual pre-sale volumes also continue to increase.
Perth has a surprise for us with this 2018 Silver Kookaburra! Not only are they continuing their annual unveiling of a new design, but also this year, the series is increasing its silver purity from .999 to .9999. The mint previously introduced this upgrade to their Silver Kangaroo series with great public acceptance. This is certain to further boost the enthusiastic popularity of the Kookaburra!
The new reverse design features a Kookaburra in flight, against the backdrop of a full moon. The bird all but fills the entire reverse field, with its sharp beak reaching almost to the coin's rim. Its tail feathers also nearly touch the rim. Its wings are spread high, and the fine detail provides much depth. The way the Kookaburra's right wing superimposes the view of the moon also creates a nice depth of view to the design.
Of course, as the largest member of the Kingfisher species, the bird's claws are ready for prey! The moon is spectacular, featuring its deeply etched craters. The overall effect is really stunning! Encircling the top is the inscription, "Australian Kookaburra," and on the bottom, the year of release, the coin's weight and .9999 purity.
Perth Mint introduces the 2018 1 oz Silver Kookaburra for the first time in .9999 fine silver purity!
Limited Mintage of only 500,000, so act quickly!
- Contains: 1 Troy oz of .9999 pure silver.
- Limited Mintage of only 500,000.
- Obverse: Bears the Ian Rank-Broadley likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the 1 Dollar (AU) face value.
- Reverse: Features a finely detailed Kookaburra in flight, against a spectacular full moon. Also included are the inscriptions, "Australian Kookaburra," the date, weight and purity, and the Perth Mint "P" mintmark.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
- Packaged individually in a protective plastic capsule. Multiples of 20 come in a sealed roll and multiples of 100 are packaged in a sealed box.
First released in 1990, the Kookaburra series has been an overwhelming success in popularity. The series was the first from Perth Mint to feature a new reverse design each year. This is also Perth's longest running series. The Kookaburra maintains a growing a worldwide following, and popularity increases with each release. The upgrade to .9999 silver purity beginning with the 2018 release is certain to boost both popularity and sales.