Biblical Series – 2018 John the Baptist
Born in Strasbourg, France in 1832, Paul Gustave Louis Christophe Doré, almost immediately demonstrated advanced giftedness as an artist. By age 15, he was well on his way to a lifelong career as an illustrator, printmaker, and sculptor. His chosen medium was wood engraving, although his paintings brought high acclaim during his life, and continue to this day. Among his most well-known and celebrated works are his 241 wood engravings of many of the key events recorded in the Bible (1866).
The inspiration of Scottsdale Mint’s Biblical coins series designs is drawn directly from Gustave Doré’s Bible engravings. Scottsdale’s creative team did not seek merely to copy Doré’s originals to the coins. Rather, remaining true to the originals, they transformed each scene into the new medium of high-relief, antique-finish, silver coinage. Their work is nothing short of breathtaking! This Biblical Series – 2018 John the Baptist is an amazing example.
Follow this link to view plates of the entire set of 241 Bible illustrations engraved by Gustave Doré. You will be astounded!
- Biblical Series – 2018 John the Baptist.
- The 4th release for 2018 of Scottsdale’s Biblical Series.
- Contains 2 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Struck in an incredibly stunning rimless, high-relief antique finish.
- Each 2 oz coin is packaged in a gift box patterned after a Bible.
- Includes a Certificate of Authenticity printed on an antiqued style paper.
- Based upon the Biblical account as recorded in Matthew 14:8-11 (NLT):
“At her mother’s urging, the girl said, ‘I want the head of John the Baptist on a tray!’ Then the king regretted what he had said; but because of the vow he had made in front of his guests, he issued the necessary orders. So John was beheaded in the prison, and his head was brought on a tray and given to the girl, who took it to her mother.”
- Obverse: Features the Raphael Maklouf likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II surrounded by the weight, purity, and face value.
- Reverse: Features a depiction of the illustration by Gustave Doré, “The Daughter of Herod Receiving the Head of John the Baptist” (Plate 167) showing a servant offering the head of John the Baptist on a tray to the daughter of Herod’s wife. Herod is depicted in the background, while a soldier looks on in the foreground. The fineness of detail is absolutely stunning!
- Edge: Laser-etched serial number, from 1 to 1499, which matches the serial number found on the included certificate of authenticity.
Scottsdale Mint stands tall as one of the most highly regarded and globally recognized private mints in the industry. A U.S. based company, Scottsdale made an unflinching commitment to quality consistency in every step of their business and manufacturing processes. With ISO 9001 certification, they are prepared to bring together innovation, creativity, quality, and efficiency into their finished products. Investors in precious metals demand the finest and the Scottsdale hallmark provides the name and backing for peace of mind!
Scottsdale is often envied by their peers for some of the most stunning and unique series designs in the private sector. The impeccable skill of their creative staff is clearly displayed with each new coin released. Though other mints may envy, Scottsdale customers anxiously await each release of their favorite series! Their anticipation is never disappointed.
Scottsdale Mint has also established themselves in the global market. Providing creative design and minting services to smaller nations around the world, they produce those countries’ legal tender bullion coinage.
BOLD Precious Metals is honored to be among Scottsdale’s prestigious list of Authorized Dealers, and proud to offer many of their products at some of the lowest prices available!