2018 Silver 5 oz America The Beautiful Apostle Islands Wisconsin
The second 2018 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver coin release features Wisconsins Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Also known as The Jewels of Lake Superior, Apostle Islands consists of 21 islands, and 12 miles of mainland off the northern tip of Wisconsin.
Established in 1970, the protected areas cover 69,372 acres of some of the most beautiful lakeshore beaches, cliffs, and coves in the U.S. Of the many distinctive attractions drawing visitors to Apostle Islands are the lighthouse tours. Eight historic Lighthouses of the Apostles are in place across six of the Islands. The oldest, Old Michigan Island Lighthouse, was built in 1856, and although it was retired in 1929, guided tours are available. Six of the eight are still in service.
The protection of the pristine natural beauty of these islands is certainly the primary reason for establishing Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Through their oversight and maintenance of the designated areas, the National Park Service is able to provide many recreational opportunities. Whether you are drawn to the beautiful beaches, wilderness hiking paths, or the dense pine and northern hardwood forests teeming with wildlife, you will not be disappointed!
The release of this 2018 ATB 5 oz Fine Sliver Apostle Islands National Lakeshore coin will be well received. The scene pictured on the reverse is a view depicting the sheer cliffs and sea caves of Devils Island. A stand of trees grace the cliff top, and the Devils Island Lighthouse is in the background. Upon the water is a kayaker paddling the smooth waves of the lakeshore. The detail on the cliffs really highlight the weatherworn sandstone. The overall design makes for a very attractive coin, while bringing out several of the key features of the site. This coin’s design does a fine job of representing this beautiful National Lakeshore site.
More Than a Remarkable Coin
These beautifully crafted .999 fine silver coins arrive from the U.S. Mint in sealed monster boxes. An ATB monster box contains 10 rolls of 10 coins in each roll making a total of 100 coins. BOLD offers these stunning silver bullion ATBs individually as singles, or in volume.
This Apostle Islands, Wisconsin 5 oz Silver ATB is much more than a beautiful, investment bullion grade collectable coin. It features an awe-inspiring, National historical site. As with all ATB coin releases, the sites represented are true National treasures, having deep historical, cultural or natural significance.
Be sure to check out this National Park Service site for more info on the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Then, when your new coins arrive, make it a teachable moment with your kids. Never miss an opportunity to get your children involved!
- Contains: 5 Troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- The largest silver bullion coins ever issued by the United States Mint.
- Design of the coins duplicates exactly (though enlarged) each of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.
- Obverse: Common to entire series, depicting George Washington in a restored version of the portrait created by John Flanagan for the 1932 Washington quarter.
- Reverse: The reverse design features an amazing view of the sheer cliffs and sea coves of Devils Island. In the background stands Devils Island Lighthouse. Upon the water is a kayaker paddling the smooth waves of the lakeshore. Inscriptions include, Apostle Islands arched at the top, with 2018 at the bottom, and Wisconsin arched to the left of the date, and E Pluribus Unum to its right.
- Reverse Design – Designer: Richard Masters | Sculptor-Engraver: Renata Gordon.
- Edge: Smooth edge inscribed with the coin specifications: .999 Fine Silver 5.0 Ounce.
Authorization for 5 oz 0.999 fine silver ATB coins was enacted in 2008. With the Americas Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-456), popular series was born. The designs of America the Beautiful 5 oz coins replicate those of the US Mints America the Beautiful Quarters. The bullion coins are three inches in diameter and have a nominal face value of 25 cents. These are the first five ounce, three inch, 0.999 fine silver bullion coins ever produced by the United States Mint. The fineness and weight are edge-incused on the coins.
These unique silver bullion coins feature reverse designs depicting national parks and other national sites in each state. Included are District of Columbia and U.S. territories, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands and Northern Mariana Islands. The coins are being issued in the order each featured site was established as a national park or site. Investors can now choose bullion coins that honor some of our Nations most treasured national parks and sites. Those featured are amazing, majestic places, which truly make us America the Beautiful.
Investment Grade Bullion
ATB silver bullion coins are investment-grade bullion coins, with their weight, content and purity guaranteed by the U.S. government. The coins are also legal tender, although their quarter-dollar face value is merely symbolic. ATB silver bullion coins sell at prevailing silver market prices, plus a moderate premium to cover production and other costs. Silver is typically the lowest-priced precious metal; making these bullion coins an affordable choice for most investors and collectors.
Distinguishing Bullion and Uncirculated
There are three ways to distinguish between Bullion and Uncirculated ATBs.
- Under the In God we Trust inscription, the uncirculated coins feature a P symbol representing the Philadelphia mint, whereas the bullion coins do not have a mintmark.
- Uncirculated coins are vapor blasted after minting, giving them a matte finish, while bullion coins have a shinier finish.
- The uncirculated coin also comes with a certificate of authenticity from the Mint and is placed inside a plastic capsule and then in a mint-issued box.