2018 Silver 5 oz America The Beautiful Cumberland Island Georgia
The fourth 2018 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver coin release features Cumberland Island National Seashore in Georgia. Cumberland Island was established as a National Seashore in 1972. It is the largest of the group of four barrier islands known as the Golden Isles of Georgia. Cumberland can be reached only by boat, and the main entry is through St. Marys waterfront Ferry service. The Cumberland Island National Seashore Museum is also located in St. Marys, along with the fascinating Ice House Museum.
In order to protect the undeveloped, pristine condition of the beaches, marshes, and wilderness areas, no more than 300 people are allowed on the island at a time. Visitors coming to the island are there to enjoy its natural beauty in its primitive, undeveloped state. As far as its natural setting, Cumberland has the most diverse ecosystems of the four barrier islands.
The reverse design of this 2018 ATB 5 oz Cumberland Island National Seashore bullion coin prominently features a snowy egret. A wading bird, the beautiful snowy egret has found a welcome nesting habitat in Cumberland. Chosen to feature on this coin, the egret represents the large and growing number of wildlife species that find protected habitats for seasonal nesting here.
The particular design is elegant in its presentation. Perched on branch and widely extending its wings, the fine detail of the bird’s lean body and powerful wings are clearly displayed. The background shows a salt marsh fading into the distant horizon. This is a fitting tribute to the success achieved by the National Park Service in maintaining the primitive, undeveloped character of beautiful Cumberland Island National Seashore.
BOLD offers these beautifully crafted .999 fine silver bullion ATBs individually as singles, or in volume. Also, check out our large selection of BOLD Collector and Stacker sets including America The Beautiful editions.
More Than a Remarkable Coin
This Cumberland Island, Georgia 5 oz Silver ATB is much more than a beautiful, investment bullion grade collectable coin. It features an awe-inspiring, National historical site. As with all ATB coin releases, the sites represented are true National treasures, having deep historical, cultural or natural significance.
Be sure to check out this National Park Service site for more info on the Cumberland Island National Seashore. Then, when your new coins arrive, make it a teachable moment with your kids. Never miss an opportunity to get your children involved!
…but, don’t forget to order your coins first!
- 2018 Silver 5 oz America The Beautiful Cumberland Island Georgia.
- Contains: 5 Troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- The largest silver bullion coins ever issued by the United States Mint.
- Design of the coins duplicates exactly (though enlarged) each of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.
- Obverse: Common to entire series, depicting George Washington in a restored version of the portrait created by John Flanagan for the 1932 Washington quarter.
- Reverse: The reverse design presents a very elegant scene featuring a snowy egret poised, ready for flight. A salt marsh stretches behind egret into the distant horizon. Inscriptions include, “Cumberland Island” arched at the top, with “2018” at the bottom, and “Georgia” arched to the left of the date, and “E Pluribus Unum” to its right.
- Reverse Design – Designer: Donna Weaver | Sculptor-Engraver: Don Everhart.
- Edge: Smooth edge inscribed with the coin specifications: “.999 Fine Silver 5.0 Ounce.”