2018 Silver 5 oz America The Beautiful Block Island Rhode Island (10 Coins)
The fifth and final 2018 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver coin release features Rhode Island's Block Island National Wildlife Refuge. The island is named after Dutch trader and navigator, Adriaen Block, who in the early 1600's conducted extensive coastal explorations. Located 12 miles off the coast of Rhode Island, Block Island hosts two historic lighthouses, positioned at opposite ends of the island. Both lighthouses are still in active service, with hosted tours. There are also beautiful recreational beaches and parks open to visitors.
Block Island was established as a Natural Wildlife Refuge in 1973, in recognition of its strategic position in the migratory path in the Atlantic flyway. Consisting of only 134 acres, the Refuge nonetheless provides a vital environment for over 70 confirmed species of migratory songbirds. The island is recognized worldwide for its protected wildlife habitat, and the refuge it provides.
The reverse design of this 2018 ATB 5 oz Block Island National Wildlife Refuge bullion coin is absolutely stunning! Capturing the rugged beauty of the rocky Atlantic coastline, the rolling surf recedes to expose the rough glacial till. The scene pictured is from the beach at Cow Cove, looking toward Sandy Point, both located at the island's northern most point. Historic Settler's Rock is also at the Point, though not featured on the coin. In the background stands North Lighthouse, originally constructed in 1829, though the current structure was dedicated in a relighting ceremony in 2010.
The true focus of the design, however, features a beautiful, back-crowned night-flying heron in flight over the beach scene. Its detail is revealed in the tones, highlights, and shadows. The heron's large, powerful wings are thrust down, propelling it forward along the strong coastal breezes. The overall design is a wonderful commemoration of the island's rich history and current natural refuge status of this amazing, beautiful island!
These beautifully crafted .999 fine silver coins arrive from the U.S. Mint in sealed monster boxes. An ATB monster box contains 10 rolls of 10 coins in each roll making a total of 100 coins. BOLD offers these stunning silver bullion ATBs individually as singles, or in volume.
More Than a Remarkable Coin
This Block Island, Rhode Island 5 oz Silver ATB is much more than a beautiful, investment bullion grade collectable coin. It features an awe-inspiring, National historical site. As with all ATB coin releases, the sites represented are true National treasures, having deep historical, cultural or natural significance.
Be sure to check out this U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service site for more info on the Block Island National Wildlife Refuge. Then, when your new coins arrive, make it a teachable moment with your kids. Never miss an opportunity to get your children involved!
- Contains: 5 Troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- The largest silver bullion coins ever issued by the United States Mint.
- Design of the coins duplicates exactly (though enlarged) each of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.
- Obverse: Common to entire series, depicting George Washington in a restored version of the portrait created by John Flanagan for the 1932 Washington quarter.
- Reverse: The reverse design features a scene from Cow Cove beach, looking toward Sandy Point. An amazing depiction of a back-crowned night-flying heron is seen flying over the beach. In the background stands North Lighthouse. Inscriptions include, "Block Island" arched at the top, with "2018" at the bottom, and "Rhode Island" arched to the left of the date, and "E Pluribus Unum" to its right.
- Reverse Design – Designer: Chris Costello | Sculptor-Engraver: Phebe Hemphill.
- Edge: Smooth edge inscribed with the coin specifications: ".999 Fine Silver 5.0 Ounce."
Authorization for 5 oz 0.999 fine silver ATB coins was enacted in 2008. With the America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-456), popular series was born. The designs of America the Beautiful 5 oz coins replicate those of the US Mint's America the Beautiful Quarters. The bullion coins are three inches in diameter and have a nominal face value of 25 cents. These are the first five ounce, three inch, 0.999 fine silver bullion coins ever produced by the United States Mint. The fineness and weight are edge-incused on the coins.
These unique silver bullion coins feature reverse designs depicting national parks and other national sites in each state. Included are District of Columbia and U.S. territories, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands and Northern Mariana Islands. The coins are being issued in the order each featured site was established as a national park or site. Investors can now choose bullion coins that honor some of our Nation's most treasured national parks and sites. Those featured are amazing, majestic places, which truly make us "America the Beautiful."
Investment Grade Bullion
ATB silver bullion coins are investment-grade bullion coins, with their weight, content and purity guaranteed by the U.S. government. The coins are also legal tender, although their quarter-dollar face value is merely symbolic. ATB silver bullion coins sell at prevailing silver market prices, plus a moderate premium to cover production and other costs. Silver is typically the lowest-priced precious metal; making these bullion coins an affordable choice for most investors and collectors.
Distinguishing Bullion and Uncirculated
There are three ways to distinguish between Bullion and Uncirculated ATBs.
- Under the "In God we Trust" inscription, the uncirculated coins feature a "P" symbol representing the Philadelphia mint, whereas the bullion coins do not have a mintmark.
- Uncirculated coins are vapor blasted after minting, giving them a matte finish, while bullion coins have a shinier finish.
- The uncirculated coin also comes with a certificate of authenticity from the Mint and is placed inside a plastic capsule and then in a mint-issued box.