2018 Silver 5 oz America The Beautiful Pictured Rocks Michigan (10 Coins)
The first 2018 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver coin release features Michigan's, enchantingly gorgeous Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Consisting of 42 miles of Lake Superior's shoreline, the entire area of Pictured Rocks covers over 73,000 protected acres. Stunning views of deeply multi-colored sandstone cliffs running along the shores gave rise to the Lakeshore's name. Some of the tallest of which tower 200 ft above the lake surface.
Established as a National Lakeshore in 1966, Pictured Rocks became the very first protected U.S. lakeshore. The natural beauty of this site includes far more than the cliffs. There are stunning, pristine waterfalls, including Miners, Chapel, Sable, Mosquito, and Munising Falls. The Beaver Basin Wilderness area is also contained within the Pictured Rocks area, covering nearly 12,000 acres of preserved wilderness. White Birch Trail is also a very popular two-mile trail featuring some of the most beautiful White Birch forest areas in the region.
The reverse design of this 2018 ATB 5 oz Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore bullion coin is remarkable. Featured is the Chapel Rock sandstone arch formation. This is one of the most distinctive examples of ancient sandstone archways. The archways are formed through the persistent ravages of erosion over the ages. Chapel Rock archway most recently succumbed to these forces in the 1940's, by the collapse of the archway that connected it to the mainland. A lone white pine stands atop the rock, which interestingly, is still connected to the mainland by its root system. The view is from Chapel beach, looking out over Lake Superior, where the placid waters are shown lapping in the background.
This is truly an amazing and pristine example of why protected National sites are designated by Congress and maintained by the National Park Service. This 2018 5 oz ATB silver coin proudly commemorates Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
More Than a Remarkable Coin
These beautifully crafted .999 fine silver coins arrive from the U.S. Mint in sealed monster boxes. An ATB monster box contains 10 rolls of 10 coins in each roll making a total of 100 coins. BOLD offers these stunning silver bullion ATBs individually as singles, or in volume.
This Pictured Rocks, Michigan 5 oz Silver ATB is much more than a beautiful, investment bullion grade collectable coin. It features an awe-inspiring, National historical site. As with all ATB coin releases, the sites represented are true National treasures, having deep historical, cultural or natural significance.
Be sure to check out this National Park Service site for more info on the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Then, when your new coins arrive, make it a teachable moment with your kids. Never miss an opportunity to get your children involved!
- Contains: 5 Troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- The largest silver bullion coins ever issued by the United States Mint.
- Design of the coins duplicates exactly (though enlarged) each of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.
- Obverse: Common to entire series, depicting George Washington in a restored version of the portrait created by John Flanagan for the 1932 Washington quarter.
- Reverse: The reverse design features Chapel Rock, an amazing example of ancient sandstone arch formations. A single white pine tree clings tightly atop the arch. The view is from Chapel beach, looking out over Lake Superior, where the placid waters are shown lapping in the background. Inscriptions include, "Pictured Rocks" arched at the top, with "2018" at the bottom, and "Michigan" arched to the left of the date, and "E Pluribus Unum" to its right.
- Reverse Design – Designer: Paul Balan | Sculptor-Engraver: Michael Gaudioso.
- Edge: Smooth edge inscribed with the coin specifications: ".999 Fine Silver 5.0 Ounce."
Authorization for 5 oz 0.999 fine silver ATB coins was enacted in 2008. With the America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-456), popular series was born. The designs of America the Beautiful 5 oz coins replicate those of the US Mint's America the Beautiful Quarters. The bullion coins are three inches in diameter and have a nominal face value of 25 cents. These are the first five ounce, three inch, 0.999 fine silver bullion coins ever produced by the United States Mint. The fineness and weight are edge-incused on the coins.
These unique silver bullion coins feature reverse designs depicting national parks and other national sites in each state. Included are District of Columbia and U.S. territories, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands and Northern Mariana Islands. The coins are being issued in the order each featured site was established as a national park or site. Investors can now choose bullion coins that honor some of our Nation's most treasured national parks and sites. Those featured are amazing, majestic places, which truly make us "America the Beautiful."
Investment Grade Bullion
ATB silver bullion coins are investment-grade bullion coins, with their weight, content and purity guaranteed by the U.S. government. The coins are also legal tender, although their quarter-dollar face value is merely symbolic. ATB silver bullion coins sell at prevailing silver market prices, plus a moderate premium to cover production and other costs. Silver is typically the lowest-priced precious metal; making these bullion coins an affordable choice for most investors and collectors.
Distinguishing Bullion and Uncirculated
There are three ways to distinguish between Bullion and Uncirculated ATBs.
- Under the "In God we Trust" inscription, the uncirculated coins feature a "P" symbol representing the Philadelphia mint, whereas the bullion coins do not have a mintmark.
- Uncirculated coins are vapor blasted after minting, giving them a matte finish, while bullion coins have a shinier finish.
- The uncirculated coin also comes with a certificate of authenticity from the Mint and is placed inside a plastic capsule and then in a mint-issued box.