2018 Silver 1 oz Canada Maple Leaf 30th Anniversary (5 Coins)
Popularity can be gained overnight, and lost just as quickly. Esteem rises from commitment to consistency over time. Respect and honor must be earned and maintained. Thirty years in the making, the Royal Canadian Mint proudly celebrates yet another remarkable milestone. The Silver Maple Leaf has certainly earned the global respect and honor that has come by the RCM’s long commitment to consistency and innovation.
When you think of consistency, it usually brings to mind the idea of unchanging repetition, or “sameness over time.” Yet, the Royal Canadian Mint has defined this term as a path; a consistent evolution toward the best and the finest they can become. Certainly their early aspiration for the SML was for its simple, iconic elegance to find its place among the respected world bullion offerings. Those aspirations have, indeed risen to a high standing. The SML consistently performs among the top selling silver bullion coins on the global market, second only to the American Silver Eagle.
This beautiful 30th anniversary 1 oz Silver Maple Leaf is patterned after their 2013, 25th anniversary release. However, the fineness of detail captured on this new release is striking as you compare the two. The large numeral “30” prominently fills the center field, as it intertwines the maple leaf. The precision engraved radial lines add a certain distinction to the design, as well as the enhanced security they provide.
Since its introduction in 1988, the iconic Silver Maple Leaf (SML) has been a highly sought-after Royal Canadian Mint bullion investment coin. This 2018 SML is minted with 1 troy ounce (31.11 grams) of .9999 fine silver. With a face value of $5, it is the highest face value on the market for any comparable silver bullion coin. All Silver Maple Leaf Bullion coins produced from 2014 forward have unique features for enhanced security.
This is a stunning design, and a very fitting tribute marking 30 years of Silver Maple Leaf excellence! With limited mintage and collectibility, you should not delay on this one.
- 2018 Silver 1 oz Canada Maple Leaf 30th Anniversary.
- Limited mintage.
- Contains 1 troy oz of .9999 fine silver.
- Unique security features.
- Obverse: Features the beautiful, right-facing profile of Queen Elizabeth II. In celebration of the 30th anniversary of the SML series, the date range of 1988-2018 is proudly displayed along with The 5 Dollar face value.
- Reverse: Features a large, single maple leaf, with the numeral “30” intertwining. Inscriptions include, “Canada” encircling the top rim and the weight and purity in both English and French. A micro-engraved maple leaf privy mark shows the last two digits of the mint year when viewed under magnification.
- $5 face value.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Canadian government.
The Canada Silver Maple Leaf (SML) continues to be one of the most highly sought-after bullion investment coins in the world. The standard annual releases are struck in .9999 fine silver at 1 troy ounce (31.11 grams), and have the highest face value on the market for any comparable silver bullion coin. All Silver Maple Leaf’s produced from 2014 forward have unique features for enhanced security, also increasing their global popularity.
The Silver Maple Leaf is not only held for its investment value. This beautiful bullion coin is also followed by collectors of fine bullion coins. With each annual release, collectors quickly add to their SML holdings. The coin’s simple elegance proudly presents a stunning and iconic emblem of Canada, the maple leaf.
Unique Security Features
The first security feature includes a small textured maple leaf, micro-engraved with laser technology on the reverse side. It displays the last two digits of the release year.
A second visual security feature includes the radial lines in the Silver Maple Leaf’s field. They have been precisely machined to within microns on the master tooling to ensure reproducibility from die to die and coin to coin. The uniqueness of the line width and pitch gives a characteristic look, creating a light-diffracting pattern specific to this coin. These features combined represent the true cutting-edge of coin security.
A third security feature is now available for both the silver and gold Maple Leaf’s. Marketed by RCM as, “Bullion DNA,” this feature provides a near instantaneous authentication of individual Maple Leaf’s that have the micro-engraved maple leaf privy mark. As described by the mint:
- “Every die used to produce the Gold and Silver Maple Leaf coins is laser micro-engraved with an anti-counterfeiting security mark: a textured maple leaf. Our registration processdigital non-destructive activation (DNA) technologycaptures images encrypted with a string of code, and stores these in our secure database. Using the specialised device, approved Bullion DNA dealers can easily verify the authenticity of registered Gold and Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins in three easy steps.”