2018 Silver 1 oz Canada Maple Leaf Incuse (25 Coins)
When is the last time you were truly impressed with a new bullion coin release? Sure, we are impressed by many of the new series that have come out in recent years. Their fresh designs, and impeccable engraving have renewed some of those early passions we felt when we first got into precious metals.
Anticipation builds as we await the annual releases of all our favorite series. We want to see and experience that fresh spark of inspiration the engraver has captured in the metal. There really have been many remarkable, imaginative, and unique coins breaking through the barrier of convention lately. That’s a very good sign.
However, when you see this coin, you will finally understand what “truly impressed” actually looks like. The Royal Canadian Mint has been on the cutting edge of innovation for so long now, we’ve come to expect it from them. Precision was redefined with the release of their micro-engraved maple leaf privy. Then, we really gasped, “Wow!” out loud when they introduced the precision engraved radial-line security enhancement. And that’s not even considering their magnificent series designs!
In honor of the remarkable 30th anniversary release of the Silver Maple Leaf, The Royal Canadian Mint Introduces this limited mintage, 2018 Canada 1 oz Incuse Silver Maple Leaf! This happens to be one of those rare times when the term, “innovation” just does not do justice to the subject. No one would dare attempt double-sided incusion on an iconic bullion series with established global distribution. No one, except perhaps, The Royal Canadian Mint! This is nothing short of…
- 2018 Silver 1 oz Canada Maple Leaf Incuse.
- Contains 1 troy oz .9999 fine silver.
- Limited mintage!
- Incused engraving on both observe and reverse sides.
- Obverse: Displays the beautiful, right-facing portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, incuse-engaved against the precision radial line background. Inscriptions include, “Elizabeth II – 5 Dollars – 2018.”
- Reverse: Features the large, iconic maple leaf image, finely detailed, and incuse-engraved, fully surrounded by the radial lines. Below, to the right of the maple leaf is the privy mark with “18” micro-engraved. Inscriptions include, “Canada” encircling the top, “Fine Silver 1 oz Argent Pur” encircling the bottom, with “9999” on either side of the image.
- Anti-counterfeiting features include, precision-engraved radial lines, the micro-engraved maple leaf privy mark, and the exclusive RCM MintStruck Bullion DNA technology.
- Legal tender of $5 (CAD) backed by the Canadian government.
The Canada Silver Maple Leaf (SML) continues to be one of the most highly sought-after bullion investment coins in the world. The standard annual releases are struck in .9999 fine silver at 1 troy ounce (31.11 grams), and have the highest face value on the market for any comparable silver bullion coin. All Silver Maple Leaf’s produced from 2014 forward have unique features for enhanced security, also increasing their global popularity.
The Silver Maple Leaf is not only held for its investment value. This beautiful bullion coin is also followed by collectors of fine bullion coins. With each annual release, collectors quickly add to their SML holdings. The coin’s simple elegance proudly presents a stunning and iconic emblem of Canada, the maple leaf.
Unique Security Features
The first security feature includes a small textured maple leaf, micro-engraved with laser technology on the reverse side. It displays the last two digits of the release year.
A second visual security feature includes the radial lines in the Silver Maple Leaf’s field. They have been precisely machined to within microns on the master tooling to ensure reproducibility from die to die and coin to coin. The uniqueness of the line width and pitch gives a characteristic look, creating a light-diffracting pattern specific to this coin. These features combined represent the true cutting-edge of coin security.
A third security feature is now available for both the silver and gold Maple Leaf’s. Marketed by RCM as, “Bullion DNA,” this feature provides a near instantaneous authentication of individual Maple Leaf’s that have the micro-engraved maple leaf privy mark. As described by the mint:
- “Every die used to produce the Gold and Silver Maple Leaf coins is laser micro-engraved with an anti-counterfeiting security mark: a textured maple leaf. Our registration processdigital non-destructive activation (DNA) technologycaptures images encrypted with a string of code, and stores these in our secure database. Using the specialised device, approved Bullion DNA dealers can easily verify the authenticity of registered Gold and Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins in three easy steps.”