2018 5 oz Silver Queens Beasts Red Dragon Proof
The Royal Mint has once again proven its impeccable dedication to producing British coinage that faithfully represents the nation’s rich heritage. Third in the immensely popular ten-coin Queen’s Beasts series, The Red Dragon of Wales was designed for the British Royal Mint by the highly respected engraver, Jody Clark. As with previous releases, the intricate detail captured on the image is truly awesome! This magnificent 2018 5 oz Silver Queens Beasts Red Dragon Proof edition contributes greatly to the centuries of British heritage represented in the 10 original painted-plaster statues of 1953.
Minted in high-relief with highest purity and 5 oz weight, this silver bullion coin series has become a highly treasured favorite among collectors and precious metals investors world-wide. The coin’s obverse displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and the 10 pounds face value. Quite interestingly, the Queen’s portrait was also designed by Jody Clark and adopted into British coinage since 2016. Distinguishing this proof edition from the BU, the background is clean without any texture, allowing the full brilliance of the Red Dragon image to take complete prominence.
The reverse features a stylized and beautifully detailed image of the Red Dragon of Wales. Encircling the rim are the inscriptions, “RED DRAGON OF WALES . 5 oz FINE SILVER . 999.9 . 2018.” The designer’s initials are below and to the right of the shield. The winged dragon’s scaled, serpentine body reveals its fierce strength as its size nearly breaks out of the coin’s center field. Its face is indeed a fearsome sight! The dragon’s right claw is extended forward, ready for battle, if required. Its left claw grasps the shield. This is truly a remarkable coin!
- 2018 5 oz Silver Queens Beasts Red Dragon Proof.
- Third edition of a series of ten coins.
- Limited Proof edition with mintage of only 750.
- Comes in Royal Mint box with Certificate of Authenticity.
- Contains 5 troy oz of .9999 fine silver.
- Stunning high-relief minting.
- Obverse: Displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 10 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features a beautifully detailed image of the fearsome Red Dragon of Wales, the date, and the coin’s weight and purity.
- 10 pound face value.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
The Queen’s Beasts are ten heraldic statues depicting the genealogy of Queen Elizabeth II. The statues were created by the British sculptor James Woodford in 1953 for the Queen’s coronation, and temporarily set up in front of the western annex to Westminster Abbey, the coronation church of the British monarchy. Today, the almost 2 meter high painted plaster figures are on display in the Canadian Museum of History in Ottawa.