2019 Great Britain 1 oz Silver Valiant
The Royal Mint is highly pleased to announce this one ounce edition of their highly popular Silver Valiant BU coin. Bringing a stunningly-fresh interpretation of the timeless classical legend of Saint George and the Dragon, the Silver Valiant is certain to become a legend in its own right. Like the 10 oz Valiant editions, this 2019 Great Britain 1 oz Silver Valiant also includes incuse design elements.
Powerful Stunning New Design
Highly recognized British sculptor, Etienne Milner was commissioned to design this amazingly powerful new design of the classic Saint George and the Dragon. This high-profile commission to design a new interpretation of one of the most well-know legends of British history required a truly accomplished sculptor. One who could maintain great respect for all of the elements of the classical history of this amazing scene and yet, bring to them a modern, stylistic expression.
Not only so, but also to display that design on a bullion coin’s flat surface and retain a sense of depth and movement required great imaginative skill. Working with the engraving team of The Royal Mint, led by Chief Engraver, Jody Clark, the final result is truly remarkable! Integrating incuse engraving and frosted elements, Milner’s design has most certainly found a presentation fitting for the subject. While taking nothing away from the classic 1816 design of Benedetto Pistrucci (still displayed on the reverse of British Sovereigns), Milner’s fresh interpretation is a welcome addition to the centuries of artistic history of this great legendary story.
The new 2019 presentation of the scene introduces very distinctive modifications that make the action displayed even more pronounced. This first release of a 1 oz edition will be a striking, and handsome complement to be displayed alongside your companion 10 oz editions.
- 2019 Great Britain 1 oz Silver Valiant.
- First release of a 1 oz edition of the new Valiant series.
- Contains 1 troy oz of .9999 fine silver.
- Stunning design integrating incuse engraving and frosted elements.
- Obverse: Displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, against the Royal Mint’s striking guilloché pattern. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 2 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features a brilliant new interpretation of the classic legend of Saint George and the Dragon. The design integrates incuse engraving and the use of frosted highlights, bringing the design to life. New for 2019, a wide rim-band is introduced, which contains the inscriptions, “1 oz FINE SILVER 999.9” at the top, and “2019” at the bottom. The band is clean, with no background pattern. This brings even greater focus upon the active scene, as it appears to escape from the center inset. The reverse inset displays an attractive background pattern, which adds well to the overall design.
- 2 pound face value.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
- Comes in a mint-issued plastic capsule.