2019 Niue Plague Doctor Mask 2 oz Silver High Relief
The Mint of Poland, in association with the South Pacific island nation of Niue, proudly presents this intriguingly dark themed coin, the iconic mask of the Plague Doctors. During the height of the plagues that spread throughout Europe during 17th and 18th centuries, these masks were created to help protect the doctors from exposure while treating plague patients. This coin is produced in ultra high relief 999 fine silver BU, with the uniquely detailed design and incredibly striking craftsmanship. This is an awesome example of what we’ve come to expect from the Poland Mint! The impeccable antique finish, highlighted by the selective application of gold plating, is the perfect medium for this bold 2019 Niue Plague Doctor Mask 2 oz Silver High Relief BU coin!
Dark and Desperate
The obverse displays a beautifully antiqued finish of the Ian Rank-Broadly profile portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II within a center inset. Encircling outside the inset are the inscriptions, “ELIZABETH II . NIUE ISLAND . 5 DOLLARS . 2019 and the AG 999 purity. The rimless design is highlighted by a fine, beaded band encircling the inscriptions.
The reverse features a head and shoulders profile of a plague doctor in full costume. The rimless, ultra high relief minting and antique finish created the perfect presentation of this incredibly dark and desperate scene. Prominent is the large, bird-beak shaped leather mask. The mask is ennobled with gold-plating, which makes it stand out starkly against the dark antiqued background images. The background displays a scattering of human bones and skulls, representative of the millions that perished during this terribly dark age.
The Costume of the Plague Doctor
The widespread medical understanding of these days was that exposure to the noxious air around those suffering from ravaging diseases was the cause of its spreading. Based upon this belief, a protective costume began to be developed to shield plague doctors from the wretched smells of their dying patients. This consisted most prominently of the beak-mask, designed to limit exposure to the smells by placing dried flowers and various herbs in the beak. These fresh fragrances were to overcome and block the noxious odors as the doctors attended to their patients. The mask also had glass-covered eye holes that permitted the doctor to see, but not allow the bad air to enter.
The doctor was also fully draped to the ankles, either by a leather trench coat, or waxed canvas gown. He also wore a wide-brim leather hat that eventually came to identify them as plague doctors. This full-body costume of the plague doctors is believed to have been developed by French Medical Doctor, Charles de Lorme around 1619.
This highly collectible 2019 Niue Plague Doctor Mask 2 oz Silver High Relief coin captures a very dark historic theme with an incredibly detailed antiqued and gold-plated ennobled design. The coin comes in a very attractive presentation case frame and a certificate of authentication. Considering the extremely-limited mintage of only 500 for worldwide distribution, you really should act quickly!
- 2019 Niue Plague Doctor Mask 2 oz Silver High Relief.
- Produced by the Mint of Poland in association with the South Pacific island nation of Niue.
- Extremely limited mintage of 500 for global distribution!
- Produced in incredibly, Ultra High Relief .999 fine silver BU.
- Antiqued finish with selective application of gold plating.
- Comes in a very attractive presentation case frame and a certificate of authentication.
- Obverse displays a beautifully antiqued finish of the Ian Rank-Broadly profile portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, with inscriptions, “ELIZABETH II . NIUE ISLAND . 5 DOLLARS . 2019 and the AG 999 purity.
- The reverse displays a very dark theme, featuring a plague doctor in the costume he would wear while treating plague patients. Prominent is the large, bird-beak shaped leather mask. The mask is gold-plated. The rimless background displays a scattering of the bones and skulls.
- Sovereign coin backed by the government of the nation of Niue.