2019 Rwanda 1 oz Silver Nautical Ounce Victoria
The Rwanda Nautical Ounce series was introduced in 2017, with the inaugural Santa Maria edition, followed in 2018 by the highly intriguing HMS Endeavour. With the series highly unique design, both editions have seen extremely popular public response! Now in its third year, the 2019 Rwanda 1 oz Silver Nautical Ounce Victoria BU follows the series theme of featuring famous historic ships.
This third edition of the Rwanda Nautical Ounce series is not only a stunning example of extraordinary design, but also represents highly intriguing Naval history. This is a great selection for both young and old who enjoy stories of the sea and exploration!
Victoria ‑ 500th Anniversary
The obverse displays a large image of the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Rwanda centered, with inscriptions encircling the rim, including “BANKI NKURU Y’U RWANDA AMAFARANGA MIRONGO ITANU.” The face value of 50 Francs is also included.
The reverse center inset features a very nicely styled depiction of the Spanish carrack, Victoria, the first ship to navigate around the world! The ship is shown under full sail. Within the inset, a large highly-stylized compass is set to the right, with navigational markings across the background. The wide rim-band includes the inscriptions “NAUTICAL OUNCE . 2019 . 1 oz FINE SILVER 999.” Superimposing the inset and the band at the top is a small elliptical inset that includes nautical equipment consistent with the period. At the bottom, rough waters from under the ship splash out into the rim-band, creating a nice action-filled effect. Within the splash is inscribed “Victoria.”
- 2019 Rwanda 1 oz Silver Nautical Ounce Victoria.
- Third annual release of the highly popular Nautical Ounce series.
- Includes 1 oz of 999 Fine Silver BU.
- Singles come in a mint plastic pouch, and multiples of 10 in come in sheets.
- Each Silver Nautical coin in the series will be produced within a limited minting period. For the 2019 Victoria that period is only during the dates of April 2019 to March 2020. This will result in lower mintage and growing value appreciation over time.
- Obverse displays the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Rwanda, with inscriptions encircling the rim.
- Reverse features a nicely stylized depiction of the Spanish carrack Victoria. The ship is shown under full sail. The scene includes stylized nautical instruments and markings.
- Face value of 50 Francs.
Ferdinand Magellan commanded the five ship Spanish expedition to circumnavigate the world. Launching from Seville during 1519 the expedition was successfully accomplished September 6, 1522. Magellan, however did not finish the expedition, having been killed in 1521 by the natives on the island of Mactan in the Philippines. His command was replaced by Juan Sebastián Elcano. At the end, only the ship and crew of the Victoria was able to complete the expedition.
Victoria was named by Magellan when King Charles I of Spain gave her to him. He named the ship after Santa Maria de la Victoria, the church he prayed in Seville.