2019 1 oz Silver Perth 50th Anniversary Moon Landing Proof
It all came down to that one moment. The day was July 20, 1969. Every one of us who knew what was going on, from the youngest to the oldest, stood breathless together. It didn’t matter where on the globe we happened to be standing, we were each waiting for that one word from Mission Control. Would those final few meters culminate in success or catastrophe?
Manned Lunar Mission ‑ The Eagle Has Landed!
Apollo 11 was popularly referred to as the Manned Lunar Mission. Perhaps the actual historic significance of that mission reference, can only be put into more modern perspective if we think in terms of one of today’s goals: Mars. Will we soon be standing together awaiting the word on the success of the Manned Martian Mission? Very likely, however even considering the heightened significance of that upcoming event, it is still difficult to compare that to the success of Apollo 11.
It is fitting that we memorialize these high-water marks in our leaps forward. We now have reached the half-century mark of the amazingly difficult achievement of Commander, Neil Armstrong, Command Module Pilot, Michael Collins, and Lunar Module Pilot, Buzz Aldrine’s successful “Manned Lunar Mission.” And that’s not to mention the thousand+ lead and support staff that together made such a feat even remotely possible.
How best to commemorate such remarkable achievements as this, than by looking back for fresh encouragement, as we determine to push forward to greater vistas? Now, at 50 years, we do well to celebrate the absolutely stunning success of this historic event in human history.
Moon Landing 1969-2019
Perth Mint has issued this 2019 1 oz Silver Perth 50th Anniversary Moon Landing Proof edition in honor of that historic achievement. The reverse design of this coin is actually somewhat simple. The Lunar Module stands intact on the barren surface of the Moon, with the horizon in the background. A short distance from the module in the foreground is the impression of a single boot-print, left behind by the first man to walk on the Moon. Also included at the top rim is the inscription, “MOON LANDING 1969-2019” and the “P” Perth mintmark.
The Mint’s choice of presenting a simple design actually punctuates the amazing fact of what was actually achieved on that fateful day in 1969. The lunar module looks curious, but by today’s standards, anything but impressive. Yet, it descended from lunar orbit and safely landed two brave men on the Moon. They were able to step out and actually explore the surface, and then safely return to the command module and return to Earth. This coin’s design celebrates that success.
New for 2019, the obverse introduces the 6th generation effigy of Queen Elizabeth II to be displayed on Australian coins. The new portrait is based on that designed by Jody Clark of the Royal Mint for 2016. It is distinctively different, however, in that it displays the Queen’s shoulders and full neckline. The band at the rim includes the inscriptions, “ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA” at the top, and “1 oz 9999 Ag . 2019 . 1 DOLLAR” at the bottom.
This 2019 1 oz Silver Perth 50th Anniversary Moon Landing Proof edition is released in commemoration of one of the most amazing accomplishments of early space travel. This Proof edition coin comes in a stunning display case with see-though lid, and includes a numbered Certificate of Authenticity. Also, considering the very limited mintage of just 7,500 for Terrestrial distribution, you shouldn’t delay. Join in the celebration today!
- 2019 1 oz Silver Perth 50th Anniversary Moon Landing Proof.
- Commemoration and Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11’s successful Manned Lunar Mission.
- The coin comes in a stunning display case with a see-through lid, and includes a numbered COA. Packaged in an attractive shipper.
- Very limited mintage of only 7,500.
- Contains 1 Troy oz .9999 fine silver Proof.
- Face Value of 1 Dollar (AUD).
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
- Obverse: New for 2019, the obverse features a lovely new portrait of Queen Elizabeth II that includes her shoulders and neckline, based on Jody Clark’s 2016 5th official effigy. Also included is the coin’s weight and purity, release date of 2019, and the (AU) face value.
- Reverse: Features a remarkably simple design that captures the incredibly amazing achievements of this historic mission. Featured is the Lunar Module standing on the lunar surface, with a single boot-print left by the first man to walk on the Moon.