2019 1 oz Silver Australia Wedge-Tailed Eagle (20 Coins)
This magnificent new release by Perth Mint, in collaboration with former US Mint Chief Engraver, John Mercanti, is stunningly beautiful. Although this is the fourth design released in the series, it is arguably the most pristine example of the love Mercanti has for the subject. John Mercanti is well-known for his exceptional work at the US Mint (retired 2010). Chief among his stellar accomplishments is the absolutely inspired design that emblazons the reverse of the American Silver Eagle, known as the “Heraldic Eagle!” We hesitate to claim that he has surpassed that timeless, iconic design with this edition of the Wedged-Tailed Eagle descending. However, we do not shrink from giving his design of this 2019 1 oz Silver Australia Wedge-Tailed Eagle our highest acclaim!
Wedged-Tailed Eagle ‑ Descending!
The obverse introduces the 6th generation effigy of Queen Elizabeth II to be displayed on Australian coins. The new portrait is based on that designed by Jody Clark of the Royal Mint for 2016. It is distinctively different, however, in that it displays the Queen’s shoulders and full neckline. She also wears the stunning Royal Diamond Diadem, the same she wore at her coronation. This is a very lovely and graceful pose. This new effigy is certain to be well received. Inscriptions within the wide rim-band include “ELIZABETH II . AUSTRALIA . 1 DOLLAR.”
The reverse features a finely-detailed Wedged-Tailed Eagle, the largest bird of prey found in Australia. The eagle is displayed descending from a height with his powerful wings fully out-spread to navigate the wind currents towards his targeted landing. The eagle’s talons are fully extended and thrust forward. If his piercing eyes are focused upon his next meal, clearly there is no possible escape for the poor creature below!
The eagle is positioned in the coin’s center field in such a way that his wing-tips breach the rim-band both at the top and bottom. This creates a perspective to the scene, providing a sense of the eagle’s downward flight. Behind the eagle, rays are shown emanating from an off-center position. These rays direct full attention upon this magnificent bird in flight, as well as adding to the sense of depth perspective. Within the narrow rim-band are included the inscriptions “AUSTRALIAN WEDGED-TAILED EAGLE” extending from wing-tip to wing-tip. At the bottom rim is “2019 1 oz 9999 SILVER”
This magnificent 4th design of the Perth Mint series ‑ Wedged-Tailed Eagle is absolutely a must-have!
- 2019 1 oz Silver Australia Wedge-Tailed Eagle (20 Coins).
- Contains: 1 Troy oz of .9999 pure silver BU.
- Limited Mintage of only 50,000.
- Obverse: New for 2019, the obverse features a lovely new portrait of Queen Elizabeth II that includes her shoulders and neckline, based on Jody Clark’s 2016 5th official effigy.
- Reverse: Features a magnificent Wedged-Tailed Eagle descending from a height with his powerful wings fully out-spread to navigate the wind currents towards his targeted landing. Designed by former Chief Engraver of the US Mint, John Mercanti.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
- Packaged individually in a protective plastic mint-issued capsule.