2019 Silver 10 oz Canada Magnificent Maple Leaf
The Royal Canadian Mint extended the highly prized 10 oz Silver Magnificent Maple Leaf to become an on-going series. First introduced in 2017, this was tremendous news that excited both collectors and silver stackers alike. This very special 2019 Silver 10 oz Canada Magnificent Maple Leaf is truly stunning!
The Silver 10 oz Canada Magnificent Maple Leaf is a very distinctive addition to the continuing legacy of the Silver Maple Leaf. By its large diameter and hefty weight, this new series is certain to make its lasting mark on the overall SML series history. Coupled with its wonderfully fresh design, we can understand why it is named the MAGNIFICENT Maple Leaf!
The 76.25 mm diameter is over twice the size of the 1 oz SML. This allows for the design detail to really stand-out! The obverse of the coin bears the beautiful image of Queen Elizabeth II. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REGINA” and the face value of 50 Dollars. The precision engraved radial lines completely fill the background field, contributing both a distinctive touch and added security.
The reverse features the new design introduced for the series in 2017. The designer, Celia Godkin, is well-known to avid Royal Canadian Mint followers, as she has collaborated on quite a number of very nice RCM design projects. Following the theme of the Silver Maple Leaf, this coin features the maple leaf, yet it displays a clipping of two sugar maple leaves. The Maple Leaf series has long been known for its simple elegance of design. With the increase of this coin’s diameter, the choice to include the double-leaf clipping has certainly produced an attractive feature!
The center of the field has a lightly brushed background, allowing the beauty and texture of the leaves to display quite prominently. A fine line surrounds the center field, separating the featured image from the radial lines that encircle the rim. The micro-engraved maple privy sits to the left of the stem. This adds not only a distinctive mark, but also security enhancement. Inscriptions include “CANADA” proudly arched at the top. The weight and fineness encircle the bottom of the coin in both English and French. The release date is toward the top right, slightly above the leaves.
- 2019 Silver 10 oz Canada Magnificent Maple Leaf.
- Contains 10 troy oz of .9999 fine silver.
- Each coin ships in a custom made, mint-issued capsule.
- Obverse: Displays the right-facing profile of Queen Elizabeth II, along with the 50 Dollar face value.
- Reverse: Features a clipping of two iconic maple leaves, crafted in minute detail, surrounded at the rim by a band of fine radial lines. The micro-laser engraved maple leaf privy is at the bottom left. Also included are the weight and purity in both English and French. Arched above the leaf is “CANADA” with the year in the right center field.
- $50 (CAD) face value.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Canadian government.
The Canada Silver Maple Leaf (SML) continues to be one of the most highly sought-after bullion investment coins in the world. The standard annual releases are struck in .9999 fine silver at 1 troy ounce (31.11 grams) and have the highest face value on the market for any comparable silver bullion coin. All Silver Maple Leaf’s produced from 2014 forward have unique features for enhanced security, also increasing their global popularity.
The Silver Maple Leaf is not only held for its investment value. This beautiful bullion coin is also followed by collectors of fine bullion coins. With each annual release, collectors quickly add to their SML holdings. The coin’s simple elegance proudly presents a stunning and iconic emblem of Canada, the maple leaf.
Unique Security Features
The first security feature includes a small textured maple leaf, micro-engraved with laser technology on the reverse side. It displays the last two digits of the release year.
A second visual security feature includes the radial lines in the Silver Maple Leaf’s field. They have been precisely machined to within microns on the master tooling to ensure reproducibility from die to die and coin to coin. The uniqueness of the line width and pitch gives a characteristic look, creating a light-diffracting pattern specific to this coin. These features combined represent the true cutting-edge of coin security.
A third security feature is now available for both the silver and gold Maple Leaf’s. Marketed by RCM as, “Bullion DNA,” this feature provides a near instantaneous authentication of individual Maple Leaf’s that have the micro-engraved maple leaf privy mark. As described by the mint:
- “Every die used to produce the Gold and Silver Maple Leaf coins is laser micro-engraved with an anti-counterfeiting security mark: a textured maple leaf. Our registration process ‑ digital non-destructive activation (DNA) technology ‑ captures images encrypted with a string of code, and stores these in our secure database. Using the specialised device, approved Bullion DNA™ dealers can easily verify the authenticity of registered Gold and Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins in three easy steps.”