2019 Silver 5 oz ATB Mariana Islands American Memorial Park
The second 2019 America the Beautiful 5 oz coin release features the Mariana Islands American Memorial Park. Established in 1978, the park is a living memorial to honor the heavy sacrifices in World War II during the Marianas Campaign launch in 1944 as an US offeNsive strike against Imperial Japanese in the Pacific Theater.
The Marianas Memorial is situated in a beautifully lush, yet serene setting. Inscribed in the memorial are 5,204 names of both Americans and Marianas who sacrificed their lives during this strategic campaign. The Mariana Islands American Memorial Park was dedicated upon the 50th Anniversary of the Invasion of Saipan.
As a living park, the 133 acres provides a central memorial to honor the lives of those, who in the name of liberty and freedom, sacrificed all during such a harsh and turbulent time in the World’s history. Also, the lush Island setting, filled with beauty and vibrant life, serves as a timeless reminder of its wonder and preciousness. The Park includes brilliant white beaches, protected wetlands, mangrove forests, and many designated sports areas and playgrounds.
This 2019 Silver 5 oz ATB Mariana Islands American Memorial Park coin design captures a sense of the true reason for its establishment. Within the center inset, the Memorial stands with the flags flying high at central rise at the top of the steps. In the foreground, a young girl in a lovely traditional Mariana dress, with a wreath on her head, stands with one hand resting upon the plaque inscribed with the names of those who sacrificed their lives. It is a very special and poignant scene.
- 2019 Silver 5 oz ATB Mariana Islands American Memorial Park.
- Contains: 5 Troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- The largest silver bullion coins ever issued by the United States Mint.
- Design of the coins duplicates exactly (though enlarged) each of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.
- Obverse: Common to the entire series, depicting George Washington in a restored version of the portrait created by John Flanagan for the 1932 Washington quarter.
- Reverse: Features a young girl standing in front of the memorial site, with one hand resting upon the plaque inscribed with the names of those who sacrificed their lives. A narrow rim-band includes the inscriptions, “AMERICAN MEMORIAL PARK” at the top and “N. MARIANA ISLANDS . 2019 . E PLURIBUS UNUM” encircling the bottom.
- Edge: Smooth edge inscribed with the coin specifications: “.999 Fine Silver 5.0 Ounce.”