2019 Austria 1 oz Silver 825th Anniversary Wiener Neustadt (In Card)
In honor of their 825th anniversary, the Vienna Mint proudly presents a limited edition three-coin series detailing its fascinating story. This coin, the second release in the series, features a beautifully-detailed depiction of the original fortress of Wiener Neustadt, built by Duke Leopold V. The 2019 Austria 1 oz Silver 825th Anniversary Wiener Neustadt BU (In Card) is a wonderful tribute to an important part of the history of both Wiener Neustadt and the Vienna Mint!
825 Years in the Making
It was the year 1191. The third crusade was raging in the Middle East, and a royal feud between Duke Leopold V of Austria and Richard “The Lionheart” of England was intensifying. Later, in 1192, as King Richard was returning from the Holy Land to his English home, Duke Leopold’s men captured and imprisoned him in the Castle of Durnstein in Österreich (as Austria was known at the time).
For King Richard to be released, Leopold forced him to pay a ransom of 35 tons of silver, accomplished through extreme taxation of his people. Duke Leopold then used this ransom in 1193-94 to build the Wiener Neustadt castle and the surrounding fortified city. It also enabled him to establish the original Mint of Vienna, which struck the country’s first silver coins.
A Coin Worthy of Royalty
This 2019 Austria 1 oz Silver 825th Anniversary Wiener Neustadt BU (In Card) is a fitting tribute to the story of one of the most famous and trusted mints in the world. The coin’s obverse features Leopold V’s equestrian seal, depicting him as a strong military commander on horseback, proudly displaying his banner and shield. Inscriptions include “REPUBLIK OSTERREICH” arched at the top rim, with the coin’s face value, “1,50 EURO . 2019” and its weight, “1 UNZE FEINSILBER” at the bottom.
The coin’s reverse features the original Burg Wiener Neustadt, the first castle built in Wiener Neustadt (1194). Depicted as it first stood, banners stream atop the towers of the castle’s main building. Smaller quarters are featured just behind the castle walls and its entrance. The castle is said to have stood on the north-eastern corner of the city.
This 2019 Austria 1 oz Silver 825th Anniversary Wiener Neustadt BU (In Card) release presents a great opportunity to experience more about European history. Its historical mooring, as well as its exquisite design will be admired for years to come!
Check out this link to learn more about “What the Vienna Mint is Celebrating!”
- 2019 Austria 1 oz Silver 825th Anniversary Wiener Neustadt (In Card).
- Second release of the limited edition, three-coin series commemorating the Austrian Mint’s 825th anniversary.
- Limited mintage of 100,000 coins! (Please note: The Mint has sold-out. Now available only through dealers such as BOLD Precious Metals.)
- Contains 1 troy oz of .999 fine silver BU.
- Legal tender in Austria, face value of 1.5 (EUR).
- Obverse: Depicts the equestrian seal of Leopold V.
- Reverse: Features the original Burg Wiener Neustadt, the first castle in Wiener Neustadt.
- Coin comes sealed in a red Austrian Mint branded carded blister pack.
- Guaranteed by the Austrian government.