2019 1 oz Silver Britannia Oriental Border (20 Coins)
First introduced in 2018, the Royal Mint is very pleased to release this second edition Silver Britannia, designed to celebrate the mint’s historic relationship with Asia. This beautifully unique 2019 1 oz Silver Britannia Oriental Border design is truly stunning! Inspired by the Chinese-themed rooms at Buckingham Palace and Brighton’s Royal Pavilion, this stylistic oriental border addition is quite distinctive!
Britannia’s Distinctive Design
As part of the 2019 Silver Britannia release, this 2019 1 oz Silver Britannia Oriental Border coin maintains Britannia’s same fine qualities. This special edition contains one troy ounce of .999 fine silver, the purest of silver released by the Royal Mint. The obverse displays the right-facing profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, introduced in 2016, and designed by Royal Mint engraver Jody Clark.
This was quite an honor for the artist, as this is only the fifth such portrait to be introduced into British coinage. Interestingly, he submitted his design anonymously in a competition. In Clark’s own words, “I wanted to make her look less stern, to give her a slightly warmer expression. I hope she thinks it is a fitting and accurate representation.” The obverse background features the Royal Mint’s distinctive new guilloché pattern.
The reverse features the helmeted Lady Britannia. She stands with a trident grasped in one hand to defend the seas. In the other, she holds a shield, graced with the image of Great Britain’s flag, ready to defend the realm. As a symbol of strength and integrity, Britannia has for centuries been featured on British coinage. Inscriptions include “ONE OUNCE 999 FINE SILVER” to the left of the trident, and “BRITANNIA” to the right. A radial sunburst pattern in the background provides a very attractive texture as well as anti-counterfeiting security. Also, for this special edition, a stunning oriental-styled border encircles the rim.
- 2019 1 oz Silver Britannia Oriental Border (20 Coins).
- Contains 1 troy oz of .999 fine silver in BU condition.
- Individual coins arrive in mint-issued capsule.
- Multiples of 20 coins come in a mint-sealed plastic bag.
- Obverse: Displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, against the Royal Mint’s new guilloché security pattern. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 2 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features the helmeted Lady Britannia, standing with a trident grasped in one hand and shield in the other. A radial sunburst security pattern also fills the background. For this special edition, a stunning oriental-styled border encircles the rim.
- Limited mintage of only 50,000!
- 2 pound face value.
- Anti-counterfeiting security background patterns on obverse and reverse.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
- The Silver Britannia series was introduced in 1997, adopting the same design of the gold issue.
- New portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, by Jody Clark introduced in 2016.
- Addition in 2017 of a new finely engraved, radial sunburst security feature to the reverse.
- Addition in 2018 of a distinctive new obverse background security feature, the Royal Mint’s new guilloché pattern.
- Introduction of a limited mintage, unique Asian-themed border edition in 2018 to celebrate the mint’s historic relationship with Asia.