2019 1 oz Silver South Africa Big Five Lion
The South African Mint is excited to announce the second release of this remarkable new series of coins, featuring five of the most widely known African animals. The Big Five series will ultimately feature an elephant, lion, leopard, rhino, and a buffalo. Each coin is struck in .999 fine silver BU. This highly unique series is absolutely a must-have for fine bullion collectors. The new 2019 1 oz Silver South Africa Big Five Lion is a powerful example!
The Big Five
Originally, Big Five was associated with the five most difficult and dangerous animals to hunt on foot. The term is now used to describe the five African animals that are considered must-see, each magnificently impressive. Tourists fortunate enough to view them in their natural habitat report that it is one of their most exciting memories. Sadly, these five animals are endangered. However, it is hoped that this series of bullion coins will help bring greater attention to their plight.
Currently, nature reserves are being set up all over Africa, providing these animals a safe habitat in which to live and thrive. Hopefully, through these and other efforts, generations to come will continue to enjoy the ability to observe and appreciate these animals in their natural habitat.
Majestic African Lion ‑ Intriguing Design
The obverse features an extreme close-up, front-facing view of the heads of two lions positioned very closely together. This is a remarkable design, displaying with incredibly fine detail the fierce beauty of this large African lion.
The most intriguing aspect of this striking design is that when two of the coins lay side by side, the image of a third lion’s full head appears between the two, visually made up of the two half-images displayed on the two coins. This is truly one of the most uniquely interesting coin designs we’ve seen in quite some time. A small circular inset centered in the field displays “1 oz” and is surrounded by a narrow rim-band, which includes the inscriptions “FIVE RAND Ag 999.”
The reverse image of this 2019 1 oz Silver South Africa Big Five Lion shows a close-up of this magnificent creature, with full focus upon its massive head and mane. Every nuance of this amazing animal is shown in meticulous detail. What strikes you first is just how large the lion’s head is depicted on the coin, filling the entire field. What draws you in, though, is its face; full of a fearless nobility! Its eyes remain focused some distance away. It is a striking pose that clearly displays the lion’s alert readiness. The South African coat of arms is displayed in a circular inset at the bottom rim. Also, a highly-stylistic, flared rim-band includes the inscriptions “SOUTH AFRICA” to the left of the coat of arms, and “BIG FIVE 2019” to the right. There could hardly be a more appropriate presentation of this majestic creature for this South Africa Big Five series.
The South African Big Five series design has been extremely well-received. This second edition is certain to move quickly! As with the first release, there is a very limited mintage of only 15,000 for worldwide distribution. Comes encapsulated and presented in an attractive blister-pack.
You should not delay!
- 2019 1 oz South Africa Big Five Lion.
- Second release in the South Africa Big Five series.
- Very limited mintage of only 15,000!
- Individual coins come in mint capsule, presented in an attractive blister-card.
- Contains 1 oz .999 fine silver.
- Face value of 5 rand.
- Obverse: Features a unique design that by placing two coins side by side, the partial head images of two lions visually produce the image of a third lion’s full head in the center between the two coins. A small circular inset centered in the field displays “1 oz” and is surrounded by a narrow rim-band, which includes the inscriptions “FIVE RAND Ag 999.”
- Reverse: Presents a striking, finely-detailed close-up presentation of the lion’s head. The South African coat of arms is displayed in a circular inset at the bottom rim. Inscriptions within the rim-band include “SOUTH AFRICA . BIG FIVE . 2019.”
- Issued by the South African Mint.