2020 1 oz Australia Emu Silver Proof
Now entering the third year of release, The Perth Mint’s 2020 1 oz Australia Emu Silver Proof edition features a very pleasing scene. In 2018, the Emu ‑ Australia’s largest bird, joined the Kookaburra, Koala, Wedged-Tail Eagle, and Kangaroo as the 5th major bullion series to release annually. Following the pattern of the Kookaburra and Wedge-Tailed Eagle series, a new Emu design will be released each year.
The obverse displays the 6th generation effigy of Queen Elizabeth II to be displayed on Australian coins, designed by Jody Clark. Inscriptions within the rimband include, “ELIZABETH II . AUSTRALIA . 1 DOLLAR.”
The reverse of this 2020 1 oz Australia Emu Silver Proof edition coin features a pair of emus relaxing at the edge of a watering hole. One is in a sitting position in the foreground, near the water. The other stands a little further in the background. Low grasses and shrubs finish the scene nicely. The mix of frosted elements against the mirror proof finish prominently presents the two birds. A wide rimband encircling the top half includes the inscription “AUSTRALIAN EMU.” Inscriptions at the bottom rim include, “2020 . 1 OZ . 9999 Silver.” The traditional P mintmark rests at the horizon on the left of the scene.
This very pleasing 2020 1 oz Australia Emu Silver Proof edition will be a wonderful addition to your collection. We are still in the early phase of this new series, and this limited mintage proof edition would certainly be a great piece to get started with if you have not yet considered the series.
- 2020 1 oz Australia Emu Silver Proof.
- Perth Mint’s third annual release of their new Australian Emu series.
- Limited mintage of only 2,500 for global distribution!
- Presented in classic Perth Mint black display case, which includes a clear lid to feature the coin. Also included is a numbered Certificate of Authenticity. The case and coin arrive in a very attractive themed shipper.
- The obverse displays the 6th generation effigy of Queen Elizabeth II to be displayed on Australian coins, designed by Jody Clark. Inscriptions within the rimband include, “ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA 1 DOLLAR.”
- The reverse features a pair of emus relaxing at the edge of a watering hole. One is in a sitting position in the foreground near the water, while the second stands a little further in the background. Inscriptions include “AUSTRALIAN EMU 2020 . 1 OZ 9999 Silver.”
- A very effective use of frosted elements against the mirrored proof finish prominently presents the pair of emus.
The Australian Emu
The emu is a natural choice for the launch of a new Perth Mint annual-release coin series. The bird’s habitat includes the greater portion of Australia’s mainland. It is also the largest native Australian bird, second in height only to the (non-native) ostrich. And like the ostrich in that they are both flightless birds.
The emu’s uniqueness as a native Australian bird has earned it somewhat of an iconic status, as demonstrated by the country’s Coat of Arms that displays the Red Kangaroo on the left and the Emu on the right.