2020 250th Anniversary Captain Cook’s Voyage of Discovery BU
BOLD is pleased to present the third and final edition of The Royal Mint’s stunning new 2020 250th Anniversary Captain Cook’s Voyage of Discovery BU coins, produced in Cupro-nickel. With this release, the remarkable three year project produces a highly unique 3-coin series that follows Captain James Cook on his epic voyage of discovery.
As noted by the mint regarding this historic voyage,
After observing the Transit of Venus from Tahiti, Captain Cook opened sealed orders that directed him to search for the fabled Southern Continent. Finding nothing, he turned west, making for the North Island of New Zealand. Overcoming the initial hostility of indigenous Maori tribes, he was able to chart both islands, before crossing the Tasman Sea to Australia.
Anchoring in Botany Bay on 29 April 1770, Cook and his crew mapped the eastern coastline of ‘New Holland’, before beginning the journey home, finally arriving back in July 1771. They had in their possession a wealth of new-found knowledge of these far and distant lands.
Unveiling the Puzzle
Each release in the 3-coin series disclosed only a partial view of the full design. The first release in 2018 featured the stern view of the HM Bark Endeavour as it departed from Plymouth. The 2019 second release featured the ship from the high vantage of the mast, during the leg of the voyage tracking the Transit of Venus.
Now, with the release of the final design of this 2020 250th Anniversary Captain Cook’s Voyage of Discovery BU, we find the HM Bark Endeavor anchored in Botany Bay on the reverse. The background includes navigational charts of New Zealand and Botany Bay. Inscriptions at the rim include, “1769-2020 . CAPTAIN JAMES COOK” and “250” centered at the top, below the rim-band. Edge-milled with the phrase, “OCEANI INVESTIGATOR ACERRIMVS” (The most intrepid investigator of the seas). This bi-metal BU edition consists of nickel-brass for the outer rim, and cupro-nickel for the inner field, providing a subtle transition between the rim and the featured center image.
Common to the series, the obverse displays the Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Inscriptions at the rim include, “Elizabeth II . D. G. REG . F . D . 2 POUNDS.”
An illustrated folder is included that provides spaces for each of the three releases of the series. As the three separate releases are stacked in pyramid form, the three views merge together to display a full view of the entire ship. Designer and sculptor, Gary Breeze, executed the pieces of the full design puzzle quite nicely over the three-year release cycle with stunning results!
- 2020 250th Anniversary Captain Cook’s Voyage of Discovery BU.
- Third and final release of a 3-coin series begun in 2018.
- Produced in brilliant uncirculated condition, in attractive 12 gram Bi-metal alloy, consisting of nickel-brass at the rim, and cupro-nickel in the center field.
- Obverse: Displays Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Inscriptions at the rim include, “Elizabeth II . D. G. REG . F . D . 2 POUNDS.
- Reverse: Features the HM Bark Endeavor anchored in Botany Bay. The background includes navigational charts of New Zealand and Botany Bay. Inscriptions include, “1769-2020 . CAPTAIN JAMES COOK 250.”
- Edge-milled with the phrase, “OCEANI INVESTIGATOR ACERRIMVS”.
- Includes illustrated folder to display each of the three releases of the complete series.