2020 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Valiant
The Royal Mint is highly pleased to announce the second edition of their highly popular 10 oz Silver Valiant BU coin. Bringing a stunningly-fresh interpretation of the timeless classical legend of Saint George and the Dragon, the Silver Valiant is certain to become a legend in its own right. Like the previous two Valiant releases, this 2020 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Valiant also includes incuse design elements.
Powerful Stunning New Design
Highly recognized British sculptor, Etienne Milner was commissioned to design this amazingly powerful new design of the classic Saint George and the Dragon. This high-profile commission to design a new interpretation of one of the most well-know legends of British history required a truly accomplished sculptor. One who could maintain great respect for all of the elements of the classical history of this amazing scene and yet, bring to them a modern, stylistic expression.
Not only so, but also to display that design on a bullion coin’s flat surface and retain a sense of depth and movement required great imaginative skill. Working with the engraving team of The Royal Mint, led by Chief Engraver, Jody Clark, the final result is truly remarkable! Integrating incuse engraving and frosted elements, Milner’s design has most certainly found a presentation fitting for the subject. While taking nothing away from the classic 1816 design of Benedetto Pistrucci (still displayed on the reverse of British Sovereigns), Milner’s fresh interpretation is a welcome addition to the centuries of artistic history of this great legendary story.
Introduced in 2019 and continued now in 2020, this new presentation of the scene introduces very distinctive modifications that make the action displayed even more pronounced. This design will be a striking, and handsome complement to be displayed alongside your 2018 and 2019 editions.
- 2020 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Valiant.
- Third edition of the Valiant bullion series.
- Contains 10 troy oz of .9999 fine silver.
- Coin comes in a mint-issued capsule.
- Stunning design integrating incuse engraving and frosted elements.
- Obverse: Displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, against the Royal Mint’s striking guilloché pattern. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 10 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features a brilliant new interpretation of the classic legend of Saint George and the Dragon. The design integrates incuse engraving and the use of frosted highlights, bringing the design to life. It also features a wide rim-band, which contains the inscriptions, “10 oz FINE SILVER 999.9” at the top right, and “2020” at the bottom. The band is clean, with no background pattern. This brings even greater focus upon the active scene, as it appears to escape from the center inset. The inset displays a less active background pattern, which also makes the primary focus Saint George and the Dragon.
- 10 pound face value.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.