2020 1 oz Gold Canada Maple Leaf
Since its introduction in 1979, the iconic Gold Maple Leaf (GML) has been an extremely popular Royal Canadian Mint bullion investment coin. This 2020 1 oz Gold Canada Maple Leaf is minted with 1 troy ounce of .9999 fine gold (24-karat). It bears a face value of $50 (CAD). All Gold Maple Leaf releases since 2015 include unique security features.
- 2020 1 oz Gold Canada Maple Leaf.
- Contains 1 Troy oz of .9999 fine gold content.
- Enhanced security features.
- Obverse: Displays the beautiful right-facing profile of Queen Elizabeth II. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II” along with the release year and face value.
- Reverse: Features a large, finely detailed maple leaf with distinctive precision-engraved radial lines filling the background. Inscriptions include “CANADA” proudly arched above the maple leaf. Also displayed is “FINE GOLD” in English and French, the weight and the .9999 purity. A micro-engraved maple leaf privy mark is positioned to the right of the leaf stem. The last two digits of the mint year are displayed in the privy center.
The Canada Gold Maple Leaf (GML) continues to be one of the most highly sought-after bullion investment coins in the world. All Gold Maple Leaf’s produced from 2015 forward have unique features for enhanced security, also increasing their global popularity.
The Gold Maple Leaf is not only held for its investment value. This beautiful bullion coin is also followed by collectors of fine bullion coins. With each annual release, collectors quickly add to their GML holdings. The coin’s simple elegance proudly presents a stunning and iconic emblem of Canada, the maple leaf.
Unique Security Features
The first security feature includes a small textured maple leaf, micro-engraved with laser technology on the reverse side. It displays the last two digits of the release year. This was introduced to the 1 oz GML for the 2013 release.
For the 2015 release, a second visual security feature was added. At the same time, the smaller fractional sizes also received both new security features. This second feature includes the radial lines in the background field on both the obverse and reverse.
These lines have been precisely machined to within microns on the master tooling to ensure reproducibility from die to die and coin to coin. The uniqueness of the line width and pitch gives a characteristic look, creating a light-diffracting pattern specific to this coin. These features combined represent the true cutting-edge of coin security.
A third security feature is now available for both the gold and silver Maple Leaf’s. Marketed by RCM as, “Bullion DNA,” this feature provides a near instantaneous authentication of individual Maple Leaf’s that have the micro-engraved maple leaf privy mark. As described by the mint:
- “Every die used to produce the Gold and Silver Maple Leaf coins is laser micro-engraved with an anti-counterfeiting security mark: a textured maple leaf. Our registration process ‑ digital non-destructive activation (DNA) technology ‑ captures images encrypted with a string of code, and stores these in our secure database. Using the specialised device, approved Bullion DNA dealers can easily verify the authenticity of registered Gold and Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins in three easy steps.”