2020 1 oz Platinum Britannia
The 2020 1 oz Platinum Britannia from the Royal Mint contains one troy ounce of .9999 fine Platinum (24 carat). Britannia is one of the world’s oldest coin icons. This classic design is recognized and respected across the world as a symbol of beauty, reliability and strength.
Britannia’s Distinctive Design
The obverse displays the right-facing profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, first introduced on Britannia coins in 2016. A Royal Mint engraver Jody Clark’s 2015 original design was selected to replace that which was first introduced in 1998.
The reverse features the helmeted Lady Britannia. She stands with a trident grasped in one hand to defend the seas. In the other, she holds a shield, graced with the image of Great Britain’s flag, ready to defend the realm. As a symbol of strength and integrity, Britannia has for centuries been featured on British coinage. She is encircled with the inscriptions, “BRITANNIA 2020 . 1 oz . 999.5 FINE PLATINUM.” A finely-engraved radial sunburst pattern fills the background. This not only adds a very attractive texture, but also anti-counterfeiting security.
- 2020 1 oz Platinum Britannia.
- Contains 1 Troy oz of .9995 fine platinum content.
- Obverse: Displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, against the Royal Mint’s new guilloché security pattern. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 100 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features the helmeted Lady Britannia, standing with a trident grasped in one hand and a shield in the other. A radial sunburst pattern fills the background.
- Introduced in 2018, a finely-engraved guilloché security pattern, providing anti-counterfeiting security.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
The Royal Mint first introduced Britannia Platinum bullion coins in 2018 to meet the growing demand for investment grade platinum bullion coins. The globally recognized Britannia design makes the 1 oz Platinum Britannia is an excellent choice for those who want to add fine platinum bullion to their portfolio.