2020 5oz Silver ATB National Park of American Samoa
The first offering of the five scheduled 2020 America the Beautiful 5 oz releases features the remote National Park of American Samoa, located in the natural beauty of the South Pacific. This 2020 5oz Silver ATB National Park of American Samoa is your personal invitation to discover the natural wonders of this cultural-rich National Park!
The Islands of Sacred Earth
The ten volcanic islands that make up American Samoa are considered ” Islands of Sacred Earth “theactual meaning of the name, “Samoa.” Seeking to promote and protect this area’s pristine natural environment and culture, the U.S. Park Service established the National Park of American Samoa in 1988. This 2020 5oz Silver ATB National Park of American Samoa coin design is presented in support of these efforts, bringing public attention to the delicate balance and richness of the natural resources of the area.
The Design ‑ Samoan Fruit Bat
The reverse design of this 2020 5oz Silver ATB National Park of American Samoa coin displays a Samoan fruit bat mother in her natural resting position, hanging in a tree, upside-down. Her young pup is shown being protected by hanging with her, enveloped by her wings. This poignant scene (whether you are fond of bats or not) is meant to picture the ongoing need for the environment that supports the native species to be maintained and protected from encroachment.
National Park of American Samoa
As noted by the mint, “Located some 2,600 miles southwest of Hawaii, the National Park of American Samoa is one of the most remote national parks in the United States. The park includes sections of three islands-Tutuila, Ta’u, and Ofu. Almost all of the land area of these volcanic islands-from the mountaintops to the coast-is tropical rainforest. The park encompasses 13,500 acres, of which 4,000 are underwater. Visitors will not find the usual facilities of most national parks. Instead, with a bit of the explorer’s spirit, visitors will discover secluded villages, rare plants and animals, coral sand beaches, and vistas of land and sea.”</p
Be sure to check out this National Park Service site for more info on the National Park of American Samoa. Then, when your new coins arrive, make it a teachable moment with your kids. Never miss an opportunity to get your children involved!
…but, don’t forget to order your coins first!
- 2020 5oz Silver ATB National Park of American Samoa.
- Contains: 5 Troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- The largest silver bullion coins ever issued by the United States Mint.
- Design of the coins duplicates exactly (though enlarged) each of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.
- Obverse: Common to the entire series, depicting George Washington in a restored version of the portrait created by John Flanagan for the 1932 Washington quarter.
- Reverse: Features a Samoan fruit bat mother in her natural resting position, hanging in a tree, upside-down. Her young pup is shown being protected by hanging with her. A narrow rim-band includes the inscriptions, “NATIONAL PARK” at the top and “AMERICAN SAMOA . 2020 E PLURIBUS UNUM” encircling the bottom.
- Edge: Smooth edge inscribed with the coin specifications: “.999 Fine Silver 5.0 Ounce.”