2020 5oz Silver ATB Weir Farm National Historic Site
The second offering of the five scheduled 2020 America the Beautiful 5 oz releases features the remarkable Weir Farm National Historic Site, situated within the natural beauty of Fairfield County, Connecticut. This 2020 5oz Silver ATB Weir Farm National Historic Site is your personal invitation to explore the natural beauty that was first captured on canvas in the 1880s by American Impressionistic artist, Julian Alden Weir.
The Great Good Place
The National Park Service states that the Weir Farm is a National Park for Art. As noted by the NPS, “Visit the home and studio of America’s most beloved Impressionist, J. Alden Weir, and walk in the footsteps of generations of world-class artists. Set amidst more than 60 acres of painterly woods, fields, and waterways, you’ll soon see why Weir described his home as the ‘Great Good Place.’ Weir’s farm is a national legacy to American Impressionism, the creative spirit, and historic preservation.”
As noted by the U.S. Mint, “Weir Farm includes a 60-acre cultural landscape consisting of 15 historic structures including houses, barns, studios, and outbuildings. The landscape features bedrock outcrops, historic gardens, stone terraces, specimen trees, orchards, fields, miles of stone laid walls, a pond, and hundreds of historic painting sites. The artistic tradition at Weir Farm is kept alive through a variety of Art in the Park programs, free art supplies, large frames in the landscape to recreate paintings, night painting, and art instruction.”
A National Park for Art
This 2020 5oz Silver ATB Weir Farm National Historic Site coin design captures the very essence of what the park is all about. The reverse depicts an artist standing before his easel in a grassy field. His brush is raised as he contemplates the scene that includes Julian Alden Weir’s studio at Weir Farm. Inscriptions encircling the rim include, “WEIR FARM . CONNECTICUT . 2020 . E PLURIBUS UNUM. Superimposed upon the grassy field is “A NATIONAL PARK FOR ART.” Common to the series, the obverse is a replica of the quarter, featuring the bust of George Washington.
Be sure to check out this National Park Service site for more info on the Weir Farm National Historic Site. Then, when your new coins arrive, make it a teachable moment with your kids. Never miss an opportunity to get your children involved!
…but, don’t forget to order your coins first!
- 2020 5oz Silver ATB Weir Farm National Historic Site.
- Contains: 5 Troy oz of .999 fine silver.
- The largest silver bullion coins ever issued by the United States Mint.
- Design of the coins duplicates exactly (though enlarged) each of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.
- Obverse: Common to the entire series, depicting George Washington in a restored version of the portrait created by John Flanagan for the 1932 Washington quarter.
- Reverse: Features an artist before his easel beginning to paint a scene depicting Julian Alden Weir’s studio at Weir Farm. Inscriptions encircling the rim include, “WEIR FARM . CONNECTICUT . 2020 . E PLURIBUS UNUM. Superimposed upon the grassy field is “A NATIONAL PARK FOR ART.”
- Edge: Smooth edge inscribed with the coin specifications: “.999 Fine Silver 5.0 Ounce.”