2020 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Royal Arms BU
With last year’s 2019 release, the Royal Mint unveiled the 1 oz silver edition of a new design of the Great Britain Silver Royal Arms BU coin. This new design was extremely well received with great acclaim! Timothy Noad, a highly accomplished and recognized designer, created this stunning reinterpretation of the design. The original was created by Eric Sewell, Royal Mint Chief Designer during the 1970’s and first displayed on the 1983 British 2 Pound coin. The new design presents a fresh perspective on a timeless, iconic British emblem! With the release of the new 2020 edition, the Royal Mint is adding a second size, the 2020 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Royal Arms BU coin with the new design.
The Heraldic Royal Arms
The obverse displays the right‑facing profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, introduced in 2016, and designed by Royal Mint engraver Jody Clark. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 10 pounds face value.
The reverse depicts this new design of the Royal Arms. Of course, all of the original elements are included, featuring the quartered-shield. Each of the four quadrants represent the nations of the United Kingdom, and the heraldry of their historic monarchs. The first and fourth quadrants display the three passant guardant lions of England. The second quadrant features the lion rampant representing Scotland. In the third position, the harp of Ireland is represented. The shield is supported on the left by the strength of the crowned lion of England. To its right, stands ready the awesome unicorn of Scotland. Topping the heraldic shield is the stunning royal crown.
Consistent with the original design, a leather buckled-garter encircles the shield, including the declaration “HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE,” translated, “Shame on he who thinks evil on it!” The overall design is highlighted by a micro-engraved, fine-line starburst pattern filling the background field. Inscriptions include “2020 . 10 oz FINE SILVER 999.”
The Royal Arms has stood strong before the nations of the world as the single-most recognized symbol of the United Kingdom’s sovereignty, as well as that of the pride of its people. The modernization of this design will continue to extend that recognition well into the future!
- 2020 Great Britain 10 oz Silver Royal Arms BU.
- New size for 2020 release!
- Contains 10 troy oz of .999 fine Silver (BU).
- Obverse: Displays the Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, against the Royal Mint’s guilloché obverse pattern. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 10 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features a stunningly fresh, new interpretation of the Royal Arms beautifully detailed by Timothy Noad. Also included is the issue date, and the coin’s weight and purity.
- 10 pound face value.
- Individual coins come in mint capsules.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.