2020 1/10 Silver Saint Helena Spade Guinea
This highly distinctive 2020 1/10 oz Silver Saint Helena Spade Guinea is being released by the beautiful South Atlantic tropical island of Saint Helena, a British Territory. This very special .999 fine silver coin release opens a window to a distant past.
Historic Saint Helena
Considered to be one of the most remote islands in the world, Saint Helena was brought under British rule in 1657, governed and developed by royal charter granted to The East India Company. The island became a port of call of ships navigating to and from India and China. Throughout the 17th Century the British gold guinea took a high profile in transatlantic trade and became common currency in Saint Helena as well.
From this brief snippet of history, we arrive at the introduction of this astounding new coin. Produced by Sunshine Mint, one of the most highly respected private US mints, this stunning design simply cannot be passed by without taking notice!
Not only is there a strong historical mooring to Old World British coinage, it is uniquely beautiful in its own right. The design is based on the 1787 Spade Guinea, which displayed on a spade-shaped shield the coat of arms of England, Scotland, France, Ireland, and the House of Hanover.
Spade Guinea – The East India Company
The obverse features the beautiful, right-facing portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II within a center inset. The portrait was designed in 1985 by Raphael Maklouf. The inscriptions completely encircle the rim in a very distinctive serif style. Included are “£.10 . ST. HELENA . QUEEN ELIZABETH . 2020. THE EAST INDIA COMPANY.” The rim also is beaded, adding a very nice touch to the overall design.
The reverse highlights the spade shield of 1787, also within a center inset. The inscriptions encircle the rim. Included are “1/10 OUNCE . GUINEA . 999 . SILVER.” The old East India Company hallmark is displayed at the bottom of the rim. The reverse rim is also beaded.
This 2020 Silver 1/10 oz Saint Helena Spade Guinea is truly a fine offering. The 1/10 oz edition makes the coin a great selection for gifts, as well as adding to your own holdings. You should not pass by on this one!
- 2020 1/10 Silver Saint Helena Spade Guinea<
- Contains 1/10 troy oz of .999 fine Silver BU.
- Produced by U.S based Sunshine Mint for Saint Helena.
- Obverse: Displays the Raphael Maklouf effigy of Queen Elizabeth II within a center inset. Inscriptions include, “£.10 . ST. HELENA . QUEEN ELIZABETH . 2020. THE EAST INDIA COMPANY.”
- Reverse: Features the spade shield, based upon that originally introduced on the 1787 gold spade guinea. The shield contains the united coat of arms of England, Scotland, France, Ireland, and the House of Hanover.
- Face value of £.10 (GBP), backed by the government of Saint Helena.