2021 1/2 oz Gold Britannia
This stunning new 2021 1/2 oz Gold Britannia contains one troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold, the purest of gold released by the Royal Mint. The obverse displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Royal Mint engraver Jody Clark. A highly attractive guilloché security pattern fills the background.
The reverse features the image of Britannia, the strong, watchful female personification of the United Kingdom. Britannia stands with a trident grasped in one hand to defend the seas. In the other, she holds a large shield, graced with the image of Great Britain’s flag, ready to defend the realm. As a symbol of strength and integrity, Britannia has for centuries been featured on British coinage. Inscriptions are displayed within the narrow rimband include, “BRITANNIA 2021 1/12 oz 999.9 FINE GOLD.”
This 2021 1/2 oz Gold Britannia introduces four new visible security elements added to the reverse. Each element is attractively added to the existing design, while also enhancing anti-counterfeiting measures.
- The background pattern has been changed to display a wave pattern that catches light on the coin’s surface. This pattern creates the effect of the sea waves off the coast of Great Britain. This not only adds a very attractive texture, but also increases security.
- Also, Britannia’s shield has been modified by the addition of fine, smooth lines. Again, this is as much of a design enhancement as it is to increase security.
- The third element displays a holographic image of a padlock within a small circle at the lower left. As the coin is tilted, the image transitions to a trident.
- The final security enhancement displays the Latin phrase “Decus Et Tutamen,” which means, “An ornament and a safeguard.” This phrase is micro-etched in very small type along the inner rim of the coin.
- 2021 1/2 oz Gold Britannia.
- Contains 1/2 troy oz of 999.9 fine gold in BU condition.
- Obverse: Displays Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, against the guilloché security pattern. Inscriptions include “ELIZABETH II D. G. REG. F. D.” and the 50 pounds face value.
- Reverse: Features the helmeted Lady Britannia, standing with a trident grasped in one hand and a shield in the other. New in 2021, four added anti-counterfeiting security features, the most noticeable is the background wave pattern.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.