2021 Tuvalu Tears of the Moon 2oz Silver Antiqued
This incredibly intriguing 2021 Perth Tears of the Moon 2oz Silver Antiqued coin is quite unique in its presentation. Produced by The Perth Mint, the design certainly captures your attention, and the artistic hand application of the antiqued finish creates the appearance of a true ancient artifact, with each coin’s finish being somewhat unique.
As introduced by the mint,
“Goddess of the Moon, Mama Quilla was an important deity for the people of the Inca Empire who portrayed her as a silver disk with a female face on it. Associated with the moon through numerous mythological stories, Mama Quilla was believed to shed tears of silver that fell to Earth and could be mined as precious metal.
Inca Deity Design
The coin centre is filled by a Perspex dome containing silver particles suspended in purified white mineral oil – a metaphor for the tears of Mama Quilla, who is portrayed on the piece’s outer ring. Including The Perth Mint P mintmark, the design includes representations of a panther and a serpent, hostile animals according to Inca mythology that tried to devour Mama Quilla during the lunar eclipse.”
Ancient Artifact Theme
As a legal tender release by Tuvalu, the obverse displays a small image of the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at the top rim, designed by Ian Rank-Broadley. highlighted by hand-applied antique finish. Inscriptions encircling the rim include, “QUEEN ELIZABETH II . 2 oz 9999 Ag . 2021 . 2 DOLLARS . TUVALU.” Encircling the inner rim are a series of Inca-styled patterns. The center displays the flat side of the Perspex dome containing silver particles. The individually hand-applied antiqued finish continues the ancient artifact theme of the coin.
Low Mintage Premium Offering
This low mintage (2,500), highly-collectible 2021 Tuvalu Tears of the Moon 2oz Silver Antiqued premium offering is produced by The Perth Mint for Tuvalu. The presentation of the coin is as intriguing as the coin itself. As noted by the mint, “The coin is housed in a varnished plastic case moulded in the shape of Mama Quilla’s face. Her lower lip opens like a drawer to display the coin enclosed inside. The case comes in a shipper featuring Inca-style patterns formed from dark blue brush-like flocking.”
- 2021 Tuvalu Tears of the Moon 2oz Silver Antiqued.
- Produced by Australia Perth Mint for Tuvalu.
- Very limited mintage of only 2,500 for worldwide distribution!
- Contains 2 troy oz of 9999 Fine Silver.
- The antiqued finish greatly adds to the overall ancient artifact effect of this powerful design!
- Obverse displays the Ian Rank-Broadley portrait of Queen Elizabeth II. “QUEEN ELIZABETH II . 2 oz 9999 Ag . 2021 . 2 DOLLARS . TUVALU.”
- The reverse depicts an awesome, highly-detailed Inca deity design that visualizes the story recounted in Inca mythology regarding the tears of Mama Quilla, of which the center inset containing the Perspex dome containing silver particles represents.
- The coin arrives in a varnished plastic case moulded in the shape of Mama Quilla’s face. Her lower lip opens like a drawer to display the coin enclosed inside. The case comes in a shipper featuring Inca-style patterns formed from dark blue brush-like flocking.