1921 Silver Morgan Dollar BU
The 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar was struck after a gap of eighteen years for the series. This would represent the final year of the series, replaced by the Peace Dollar, first struck in December 1921. This item consists of BU graded coins. In BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) condition, the 1921 $1 Morgan Silver Dollar is categorized as having no wear at all.
- 1921 Silver Morgan Dollar BU.
- This item consists of BU graded coins.
- Contains .774 oz of .9 pure silver.
- Obverse: Lady Liberty is shown in profile facing left and wears a liberty cap with "Liberty" inscribed on the rim, and shows two cotton blossom, and two heads of wheat adorning the side of the cap. "E Pluribus Unim" appears above Liberty's image, and 13 stars encircle the lower half with the date shown in the center of the configuration.
- Reverse: the eagle with outstretched wings is similar to the earlier depictions of the majestic animal that appeared on the first coins of the young nation. An olive branch, and bundle of arrows are seen clutched in its talons, and a wreath is shown surrounding the lower half of the eagle's image. "United States of America" is shown above the eagle and shows the motto "In God We Trust" just above its head. Below the eagle's image is the denomination of the coin.
The 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar was struck after a gap of eighteen years for the series. More coins were necessary as backing for silver certificates following the melting of hundreds of millions of silver dollars under the Pittman Act. During the year, more than 80 million Morgan Dollars were struck across three mint facilities.
As the original hubs for the series had been destroyed, new models were created, which show notable differences to the earlier coins. The 1921 Morgan Dollars have a much shallower relief and most pieces lack details at the highest points. The Philadelphia Mint struck 44,690,000 circulation strike coins.
This would represent the final year of the series, replaced by the Peace Dollar, first struck in December 1921.